Understanding and teaching children from different cultures.

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

katiemac

Understanding and teaching children from different cultures.

Post by katiemac » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:58 pm

I am in the process of getting my ESL certification so I am very new to all of this. I am interested in how teachers learn to understand and adapt to the children in their classroom that are from other cultures as well as teach the children about our culture without forcing them to give their's up? What are some strategies that have worked and others that have not? I am interested to see what is going on in the classroom so I will have some idea what to expect.

Also, what are some good resources to read or look at that would help with this issue?

Duchess_Meli

Post by Duchess_Meli » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:45 pm

The most important and successful thing you can do to promote cultural exchange and acceptance is the simply keep your classroom open! Make sure you keep an open mind and reward students who do as well.

Many ESL projects you can work often allow for cultural elements and implementations. These projects not only work on language skills, but promote individuality and acceptance of others' cultures. Check websites like this one and others offer many helpful suggestions, but often regular classroom projects, especially those designed for elementary classrooms, can be accomodated for ESL implementation.

Good Luck!!

Tammy30

Post by Tammy30 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:20 pm

I am also a new student in ESL, and I would like to know how to work with students with different cultures. I am a little nervous about helping them, but I also can not wait to try. I would like to know how you learn enough about their culture that you do not disrespect them the first time you meet them?

arlet

Post by arlet » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:07 pm

Tammy,
I don't have experience in the classroom. But I think that as you get to know them every day more and more, you will start to love these children, and earase any discrimination feelings you felt about them. I think is very important that you keep an open mind when you are working with the different children, so that you don't develop any bad feelings toward them. I believe that by working with children from different cultures you will learn many things about the different families.
Arlette

Genie

Post by Genie » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:41 am

I agree with all of you keeping an open mind and seeing the best qualities in each student is the best when it comes to teaching. It is hard to do this, but so many times people judge others based on appearance or the ability to speak the language. I think as teachers and especially ESL teachers we have to keep open minds and get to each child as an individual. I too am nervous about teaching these children, but am working on keeping an open mind.
Genie

blanca

Post by blanca » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:33 pm

First of all we need to show our students respect from their culture and make them feel welcome in the classroom. We can teach them about the American culture and they can teach us from their culture. It is important for them to learn the American culture, but is also important to keep their own culture and roots. We live in a place where there is a wide diversity of languages and cultures, our classroom will be diverse. We have to keep books from different genres that address the different need of our students.