ESL/BILINGUAL CLASSES

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

blanca

ESL/BILINGUAL CLASSES

Post by blanca » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:58 pm

:lol: Hello, I am a college student hoping to graduate in December as en EC-4 teacher. The bilingual program will be implemented in my hometown district, and I will be working with the bilingual children. Since we are going to start the program in the second semester I would like to ask you for some ideas or strategies that I can use with my children. The bilingual program is going to be implemented in Kindergarten with NES (Non-English Speaking Students). Since the program is planned for the second semester I feel
like we are not going to have enough time to really develop the program and deliver all the benefits to the children. I would aprecciate your suggestiones.

Jen

Post by Jen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:21 pm

Blanca,
Although I'm still a student like yourself, I have the same concerns. However, a friend of mine teaches ESL and said that in the first school district where she tought, the other teachers helped her plan her assignments. They were very helpful and answered any questions she had. So hopefully, where you teach they will be courteous enough to help you through your frist semester. Then, I bet you'll be able to do it on your own:) I know that wasn't any concrete advice, but hopefully it helped.
Jennifer

blanca

Post by blanca » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:45 am

Jenniffer:
I know the teachers I will be working with. This week we had staff development and we wroked on the Kindergarten curriculum. They are really nice and helpful. What I am worried about is what language you should use to instruct the students. Should I use English or Spanish? , Should I use Spanish only for the Limited English Speakers? We are going to start the program in January and I need some advise. Summer II, I will be taking the Bilingual Classes and I feel like they are going to very beneficial to me. :roll:

Itza

Post by Itza » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:32 am

Blanca,
I think you are going to have to use spanish only when you start to teach these kids due to the fact they will be NES. You need to realize you will not be able to reach all your goals, so make the goals you do make for your kids attainable. Don't expect to get everything in that you would in a full year. Just do the best you can. GOOD LUCK with the program.

Jen

Post by Jen » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:36 pm

Blanca,
I must agree with Itza that if your students only speak Spanish, instruction should be provided in Spanish. You are at an advantage though because you can speak their language and can relate to them. However, eventually I think English can be introduced to them as the year goes on. You may not get much English instruction in because it's only half the year, but you'll "plant the seed" for further English learning. Itza makes another good point that not all your goals may be reached since the program starts in January, but I think that's a good thing. You can use those few months to learn and it will help you plan for the next full year. Good luck with the program, I know you'll do great.
Jennifer

Chronda

Post by Chronda » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:51 pm

Blanca,
I have to agree with Jennifer and Itza, I think that you should start with Spanish and gradually introduce English. I think that this bilingual course will be great for your school. I know you will be a great teacher. I also know that all the teachers there will be a tremendous help to you. I agree again with Itza that although you may not accomplish all your goals in half a year, you will know what and how to do things the next year and you will accomplish those goals. Good luck! Chronda

Jan

Re: Bilinugal question

Post by Jan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:10 pm

Hi Blanca and others,
Blanca, you need to teach in Spanish--since you will be in a bilingual classroom. You will have a block of time (maybe 30 min-1hr. for ESL). Otherwise, all instruction/teaching in the classroom should be done in Spanish.

blanca

Post by blanca » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:09 am

Thank you for all your comments and advise. :lol: I just want the best for the students, since we don't have a bilingual teacher in 1st. grade. The only bilingual instruction they will get is in kindergarten. DO YOU KNOW ANY BILINGUAL TEACHER WILLING TO TEACH in this district?? :roll:

Itza

Post by Itza » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:48 am

Blanca,
I'll ask around for you. Keep the faith your school will find some good teachers for the program.

bdbarnett1

Post by bdbarnett1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:17 pm

blanca wrote:Thank you for all your comments and advise. :lol: I just want the best for the students, since we don't have a bilingual teacher in 1st. grade. The only bilingual instruction they will get is in kindergarten. DO YOU KNOW ANY BILINGUAL TEACHER WILLING TO TEACH in this district?? :roll:
What district is it? I live south of Corpus Christi and will graduate next May...VERY willing to relocate.