much needed advice for our future

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Tammy30

much needed advice for our future

Post by Tammy30 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:56 pm

I would like to hear any advice from other ESL teachers about what to expect in my near future with dealing with non-English speakers. I am very excited about this and this forum has been a great help with getting me prepared. If anyone can give some advice please do so. Thank you so much. :lol:

Jen

Post by Jen » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:48 pm

I must say I'm with Tammy. I'm excited about teaching ESL students but also a little nervous about what to expect. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Please feel free to include any useful strategies and/or techniques that you have found benefical. I know that the best thing is probably just to get out there and experience it for ourselves, but any helpful hints are welcomed.
Jennifer :)

Chronda

Post by Chronda » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:08 pm

I have to agree with Jen. I am very nervous about going into a classroom and teaching ESL. I am afraid that the students will not make any progress because I have no experience. I would appreciate any and all suggestions and strategies for when I do go into a classroom for the first time.
Chronda

blanca

Post by blanca » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:00 am

You will be fine Choranda, it is very important to be prepared to teach the students, when you get your classroom and in that classroom you will get your ESL students is going to be ok'. The same strategies that you will use for your English Speaking students are necessary for your ESL students. We are learning those srategies in these classes. The most important thing in my opinion is that you create a community of learners and is important that you show children you respect them and value their opinions. You will gain the students trust and desire to learn. Good Luck!

Tammy30

Post by Tammy30 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:19 am

thank you Blanca for you advice. I feel a little more ready to teach the ESL students, but if there is anyone out there that could give some more advice I and other students would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for you time. :D

fireworks

It is ok to be nervous

Post by fireworks » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:38 am

Hi there everyone!!
For the new teacher it is ok to be nervous. I think, though, they feel this not becaus ehtey are not prepared to teach English. But it is a new experience.
The first thing to do, in my point of view, is to prepare yourselves well for class. NEVER come to class unprepared. THIS will make you a lot more nervous. SO, go ahead..go to your class but preapre the lesson you want to give well.
What do yo think?????? :?:

fireworks

It is ok to be nervous

Post by fireworks » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:39 am

Hi there everyone!!
For the new teacher it is ok to be nervous. I think, though, they feel this not becaus they are not prepared to teach English. But because it is a new experience.
The first thing to do, in my point of view, is to prepare yourselves well for class. NEVER come to class unprepared. THIS will make you a lot more nervous. SO, go ahead..go to your class but preapre the lesson you want to give well. Prepare your handouts, teh topic you want to teach, amd plan it well.
What do yo think?????? :?:

Tammy30

Post by Tammy30 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:53 pm

Thank you so much Fireworks, I agree with you in that you need to be prepared for class. I never did like it when my teacher would come in and not be ready to teach us and not have anything out. This is even more the case with ESL, I feel that I need to be very prepared everyday in my class. Thank you so much again for your advice. :wink: