Searching for best teaching methods for private lessons

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bethany27

Searching for best teaching methods for private lessons

Post by bethany27 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm actually doing research for my boss in Mexico who teaches private English, French and Spanish lessons. Right now, I'm trying to find the best teaching methods and materials (textbooks, workbooks, software programs, etc.) to use to teach Spanish to foreign business professionals wanting to advance their careers in Mexico.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or anyone you know how could help me. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Best always,
Bethany

eoverseas

Post by eoverseas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm

One of the best things he can do is to make use of and discuss regular business materials in English and in whatever business/industry his clients are in. For example, an accountant firm could talk about a balance sheet from a U.S. company and go over key terms and formats. Or, for an import/export company he would print up some import/export documentations and agreements and talk about the terms and lingo in the documents and the differences of doing business in different countries.

Stephanie (a former business ESL teacher)

Educators Overseas
http://www.educatorsoverseas.com

alawton

Private lessons

Post by alawton » Fri May 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I would agree with the response that you got. Find out the specific language used in the student's field of work. That will be the most valuable to him/her. I would do role plays using this language. Come up with some hypothetical situations that one would come across in this line of work. Good luck!

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylessons.com