Teaching Reading in ESL Classrooms

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

RozannaB

Teaching Reading in ESL Classrooms

Post by RozannaB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am

Teaching reading effectively to ELL's can be difficult, especially when working with various levels. There are many theories on the most effective ways to teaching reading in ESL classrooms, but I would like to know actual ways teachers practice in the classrooms that works for their own ELL students. I think that reading for any student is looked at with dread at times :shock: and I also wanted to know how that could be challenged in the ESL classroom. What are good ways to motivate students to want to learn to read and become interested in the reading material? I'd like to know ways to get students to want to learn to read and enjoy what they are reading on their own because I believe this will make learning more successful.[/i]

Brie M.

Teaching Reading

Post by Brie M. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

When I work on reading with my ELL students in a pull-out program I create bins for each student. I take the students to the school resource area where my school houses multiple copies of leveled texts and I let the students pick some of the books for their bin. Usually the pictures are a major factor but it helps me know what they are interested in, especially if they can not explain it with words. This helps increase the students motivation to read because they picked the book. Then I connect most of my lessons to the subject matter in the book. The students can learn more than just reading with one book and seem to enjoy when the different academic lessons are connected. I tie in videos from the internet as well. Since it is a small pull-out class we do have to take turns on focusing on friends' books and interests but usually there is a good rapport with the students so they are happy to take turns and focus on a friend's interest.