What are the best schools for a PhD in Applied Linguistics?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

moonchild7903

What are the best schools for a PhD in Applied Linguistics?

Post by moonchild7903 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:56 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forum and wondering where to get a good PhD in applied linguistics

sifu_sensei

Post by sifu_sensei » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:44 am

Hi

Macquarie is an excellent choice. They offer a PhD and a professional doctorate called the Doctor of Applied Linguistics. Lancaster University also has a good programme.

Cheers

Sifu

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:48 am

MIT is the best.

sifu_sensei

Post by sifu_sensei » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:55 am

Hi

MIT is an excellent choice for a PhD in Linguistics, but for Applied Linguistics it may not be the best choice as the department there does not really focus on that field.

Crunchy Hamster

Post by Crunchy Hamster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:47 pm

Is anyone here actually studying at Macquarie - or planning to study?

I just sent of my acceptance letter yesterday...

CizinkaNaZemi

Masters/PhD in U.S.?

Post by CizinkaNaZemi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Moonchild, do you have a masters in Applied Linguistics yet ? Where from, and any advice there? If not, are you looking for a combined program, or do you have a masters in sth else?

I'm researching Masters programs but would like the option of continuing with a PhD. Preferably in the U.S., preferably in the South, and - here's the kicker - preferably with a decent Slavistics department so I can keep my Czech and Serbian languages in shape.

moonchild7903

Post by moonchild7903 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:41 am

Hi. I'm about to finish my MA in English Language Education with major in Second Language teaching in the Philippines. My projected graduation is June of this year. I hope to get on the tenure track in the academe and so I know a PhD will be necessary. But as early as now, I'd really like to know what my options are.

Thanks for replying to this one!

Bakukenshin

How about Masters in Linguistics or Applied Linguistics?

Post by Bakukenshin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:10 am

Hey everyone. I'm a 3rd year JET and new to the forum. I'm seriously interested in Master's degress in a linguistics-related capacity but I'm not sure where to go. Can anybody recommend a good program? Also, how do online master's degrees stack up? I've heard something about one through the University of Birmingham, but being from the States I'm not familiar with that school or it's rep. Thanks:)

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:35 am

The University of Birmingham is famous for its work on the COBUILD project. The big names associated with the place over the years include John Sinclair, Malcolm Coulthard, David Brazil, Dave Willis and Rosamund Moon (if I'm not mistaken, however, few if any of these people are still there, unfortunately, and even if they were, they might not be involved in teaching much, but the research traditions they helped found still live on).
http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/

Bakukenshin

Post by Bakukenshin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:16 am

Thanks. Also, does anyone have an opinion on the University of New England program?

womblingfree

Post by womblingfree » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:22 am

Are you looking for a distance program? If so then Macquarie or Birmingham are both good. Not sure if Lancaster does distance?