Is the Orff method being used in English schools in China?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bradwelljackson

Is the Orff method being used in English schools in China?

Post by bradwelljackson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:11 am

Is the Orff method very popular in China? If it is, then is there any overlap between the Orff method and teaching English to the very young kids? Are we, as teachers, likely to see the Orff method being used in any schools we might be hired at?

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 am

Right then, so, at the subtle suggestion of Sir Fluff-n-Puff, I've decided to give the little that I know of this Orff topic (I presumed you illustrious folk would know a lot more than I). So then, here in China, they talk a lot about this "Orff" method. To my mind, this is related to those ads you see of the happy, cute Chinese baby-kids plunking away on their xylophones with their frog-smiles whilst the proud beaming parents look on. Apparently, the idea is that you teach your topic surreptitiously, under the guise of music. While those toddlers are clanging away, the message is suggested subliminally. As you can see, I don't know much about it, so here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orff_Schulwerk

So then, I wanted to know if this method is being used for English teaching in China. They want to teach their kids here at younger and younger ages, so it seems natural that English teaching should fuse with this Orff method.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 am

Oh, right, so it is connected to the famous composer. (I'm now imagining the music from Badlands being plinked and plonked out on those wunderkinder xylophones!). I've only got the Jochum version of Carmina Burana, but a relative has more of Orff's work that I could listen to. :) Anyway, I'll have a closer read of the Wiki article and sublinks sometime and perhaps try to get back to you at some point (assuming much - anything! - occurs to me to say), Brad!