meaning of "twist the truth"

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

meaning of "twist the truth"

Post by hereinchina » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Hello,
Does "twist the truth" mean the same thing as "bend the truth"? I did google the phrase but didn't find a very good definition.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 am

The meanings are similar if not the same, but 'twist the truth' is likely more usual than 'bend the truth' (though your question as you've worded/ordered it would suggest the opposite!).

Personally I would find it more revealing to identify contexts/collocates where substitution isn't possible e.g. twist somebody's words, versus ?/*bend somebody's words; ?/*twist the law/rules, versus bend the law/rules.

Chrisdj

Post by Chrisdj » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 am

Everyone is familiar with slightly different idiom of course, but I have certainly heard the phrase 'bend the truth' as well as 'bend the law' and 'twist someone's words'. 'Twist the truth' is unfamiliar to me, although the meaning would be clear enough.

To me, 'bend the truth' would suggest to me a mild form of lying. Perhaps the change is very minor, or it is for a good reason and without bad consequences (as in bend rather than break the law).
'Twist the truth', on the other hand, has a nasty and negative sound to me. It suggests someone is deliberately changing the facts to suit their own purpose, and perhaps with very negaitve consequences.

hope that helps