How Many is Too Many?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Echidna

How Many is Too Many?

Post by Echidna » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:22 pm

A question posed to me recently:

How many calls is too many?
or
How many calls are too many?

The initial 'duh!' answer is to use the plural verb, matching the noun 'calls'. However, the more I chew on this one, the more I suspect that the singular verb might be just fine as well.

My guess is that a singular verb could be used in the above, since we're talking about one amount or quantity, much like the following examples.

$2000 is enough to buy a decent used car.
Three days seems too short for a relaxing vacation.

Am I overthinking this one? Probably. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Echidna

ouyang

Post by ouyang » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

I agree that the subject could refer to a quantity. I think the predicate determines the meaning of the noun phrase. Compare the following sentences,

"Four phone calls have been made.
Four phone calls is your limit."

The definite and indefinite articles indicate whether some noun phrases are quantities.

"A number of suggestions have been made.
The number of suggestions has increased."

But how would you explain that both verb forms are in agreement with your subject example? Would you say that this predicate pattern can be used with both singular quantities and multiple things, or that native speakers typically use the plural form without distinguishing whether the subject is a singular quantity, and common usage makes it acceptable?

The answer is that all of this overthinking are bad.

Echidna

Post by Echidna » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:57 am

Many thanks, Ouyang!

For a while there, I thought that I had gone over the edge of my grammar sanity, and had been tripped up by a "See Spot Run" bit of syntax. I'm sadistically happy that I've managed to confuse you, too.

And you're absolutely right; how many pointless, overthought grammar questions is enough, indeed? :wink: