Grammar question: My English level is poor?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

Grammar question: My English level is poor?

Post by hereinchina » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:06 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure if I can use the word "poor" in the following context. Also, I’m not sure if I can the words “low/average/ high” to describe your English level. Are the following sentences grammatically correct? I know they may be awkward, but are they grammatically correct?
1. I'm poor at English.
2. I'm good at English.
3. My English level is poor.
4. My English level is low.
5. My English level is high.
6. My English level is average.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 pm

I wouldn't say any of the sentences is wrong, but 'poor' and 'average' probably generally describe just 'My English' somewhat better (i.e. a bit more easily and naturally) than they do 'My English level' (where the addition of 'level' to 'My English' jars everso slightly to my ear with the 'poor' or 'average' that follows it); the principle here is surely economy, efficiency - why add the extra word when it's not needed in general conversation?

That is, 'poor' and 'average' predicate slightly better with just 'My English' than they do with 'My English level', IMHO.

But note that one could conceivably be reading out a level from the marking bands of an exam guide or something, and thus use (or still not use) the additional 'level' quite naturally in such a context: My English (level) is (apparently) 'Average'/'Poor' (only), according to my exam result and this here guide.

Note that removing 'level' from sentences 4 and 5 results in definite unacceptability:

3. My English is poor.
4. *My English is low.
5. *My English is high.

hereinchina

thanks for taking the time to answer my question

Post by hereinchina » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello fluffymaster,
I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Best wishes,
Glen