usage of expression "one lump sum"

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

usage of expression "one lump sum"

Post by hereinchina » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Hello,
I'm confused about how to use the expression "one lump sum", in the context of buying something. Are the following sentences grammatically correct?
1. I bought my house with one lump sum.
2. I bought my house in one lump sum.
3. I paid for my house in one lump sum.
4. I paid for my house with one lump sum.
My second question is can you use the expression "paid in full" to mean "one lump sum"? Am I using the expression correctly, in that context, in the following sentences?
5. I paid for my house in full.
6. When I bought my house I paid in full.

Rp

Post by Rp » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello Hereinchina,

I'll deal with the second question first:

The phrase "one lump sum" generally in Canada is taken to mean " in one total amount, everything [ such as tax, freight, duty, those type of charges ] included in the price".

"Paid in full" tends to mean fully paid, so, the sentence: " I paid for my house in full" means my home is fully paid, whether by cash or retiring a mortgage.

There is a subtle difference in your sentience " When I bought my house I paid in full". This means it is fully paid, and since you paid for it all at once, it would mean " one lump sum". The sentence would really mean" When I bought my house I paid in full [ in one lump sum ].

Your other sentences would be considered correct in native Canadian speech.