Anyone use the Lexical Method?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Rp

Post by Rp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Fluffy, they seem to use a mix of GTM at higher levels to a form of Audiolingual at lower to mid ranges. My thesis is based on a Freirean / Wenger approach and the LA seems to fit nicely in the practice area that I am working on.

Heath

Grammar vs lexis or grammar through lexis?

Post by Heath » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:39 am

Great article based on the Lexical Approach on the Teaching English site (the BBC/British Council one), that basically starts off:
"Lexis = vocabulary + grammar"

I haven't read it in detail yet, but from a quick skim it looks like it hints at some specific practical applications:

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think ... ough-lexis

LarryLatham

Post by LarryLatham » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Yes, that is an excellent article. This summary from the "conclusion" section seems to sum what teachers can think about when preparing their lessons:

"Students should be encouraged to collect a lot of examples of a particular structure before being invited to analyse it. Hence, analysis should be preceded by synthesis."

Lessons planned around the collection and exploration (What happens when you change this word? How could you change this if the expression is no longer true?) of many examples will accumulate to the students' great advantage. It takes time. But this change requires that teachers grasp an understanding that they are not really teaching in the sense generally conveyed by that word. Students will not necessarily sit through a classroom explanation of the Present Perfect and then be expected in any real way to "know" it. The fundamental role of language teachers will need to change. This will be uncomfortable for many of them.