meaning of "emotionally draining"

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

meaning of "emotionally draining"

Post by hereinchina » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello ,
What is the meaning of the phrase "emotionally drained"? Can you also give me an example of how to use it in a sentence.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:28 am

I think we've kind of been through this stuff before (in your "fatiguing" and "prejudiced" threads), but here are a few examples that should help you work things out again. (I've cut the adverb 'emotionally', as that merely adds information regarding how or in what way it is draining or one is drained).

I'm drained...

I'm (left) drained (by this job)/This job drains me.

This job is draining (!me).

Basically in every sentence there (with the exception of the 'This job drains me', which is clearly SVO, as would be 'This job is draining me') you could reasonably view all the instances of DRAIN as adjectives. (That is, I am suggesting that the by-phrase be seen as almost optional, or at least as not adding potentially unnecessary subtleties to the analysis when it is present...but all this is ultimately assuming that the concept/term of 'passive participle' is impossibly difficult (when in fact it probably isn't really!)).

I am sure that you will be able to find examples in the online versions of learner dictionaries such as the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Oxford Advanced Learner's, Cambridge Advanced Learner's, Macmillan English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster's Learner's (etc?).

hereinchina

thank you

Post by hereinchina » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the help.
Best wishes