(Verbs in) phase?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fluffyhamster

(Verbs in) phase?

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I've mentioned the concept of 'phase' on the forums a few times now, and I reckon it could have its uses. However, I didn't really hear or learn about it from the COBUILD Grammar, so when I was taking a closer look at that book the other day, I came across something a bit puzzling (which I've highlighted in bold):
(The title of the section is 'Talking about closely linked actions: using two verbs together in phase'. I've omitted sections 3.183 - 3.185, and obviously all that follows 3.186)

verb forms 3.186 The first verb involved in a phase structure is the main verb of the structure. It is usually finite; that is, it inflects for tense and agrees in number with the subject of the clause.

I wanted him to come.
Lonnie wants to say 'sorry'.
More and more people are coming to appreciate the contribution which Muslims make to our society.

However, it can be a non-finite form.

There is a need to react to new opportunities with speed.
Er, isn't that basically a noun + complement rather than "two verbs in series"? (And transforming it to apparent underlying meanings doesn't help: A need exists to react to new opportunities with speed; ?To react to new opportunities with speed is necessary; etc (?)).

I guess examples of non-finite, dependent clauses, such as Not wishing to boast, he paused (adapting an example from chapter 8, by reversing its clauses) might be more what COBUILD was suggesting?

ouyang

Post by ouyang » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

isn't that basically a noun + complement
I would say that it is.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Heh, thanks, Ouyang!

Makes you wonder sometimes quite who they delegate the grunt work to when writing these grammars...but of course, overall the COBUILD is a pretty valuable (invaluable?) resource!