'As per' Usage

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kapvijay

'As per' Usage

Post by kapvijay » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:11 am

Is 'as per' a Subordinative Conjunction in the following sentence?

"Treatment given as per doctor's order'

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Dictionaries don't analyze it further than labelling it an idiom, while in grammars (e.g. the LGSWE, pg 75) it is listed simply as a complex (i.e. multi-word) preposition. I don't think it is worth trying to break it down beyond that, so you'd probably be best just trying to think of synonyms e.g. according to, in accordance with, in compliance with, in line with, etc.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:01 am

Thank you fluffyhamster.

If we name 'as per' complex preposition, the sentence will be called 'simple sentence'. isn't it?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Sorry for not addressing your question of subordination. My understanding is that 'as per doctor's orders' is an adverbial (the whole could be replaced with e.g. 'correctly'), and it isn't a clause (further clause) but rather just an element (a phrase) in yes a simple sentence. The "complexity" (that is, simply multiwordedness of what would otherwise have been a single word) is confined just to the (name of the) preposition.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:03 am

Hello fluffyhamster, Thank you for confirming that the sentence is simple.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Well we're calling it a sentence but it's a bit abbreviated and note-like. It could even conceivably be just a noun phrase containing a reduced relative clause (i.e. other clauses could come before or after it: ... X ... ). Hard to say out of context!