Page 1 of 1

What do we call them linguistically?

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm
by kapvijay
Hello, I'm analyzing the nursing reports to find out the language structure used by the nursing students. In the reports, I've come across the following two sets of sentences.

Group A: (This type of sentences does not have a verb phrase at all (e.g. is/was, are/were))
a). Patient conscious and oriented.
b). Pulse volume tension fair.
c). IV fluids on flow.
d). Patient general condition weak.

Group B : (this type of passive sentences does not have only auxiliary verb in the verb phrase.)
a). Health education given.
b). TPR checked and recorded.
c). Oral fluids not given.
d). CBD kept in position.
e). Urine drained well.

I understand, the sentences without a verb phrase is considered ungrammatical, but in medicine, grammar is not given much important. This type of writing is called Medical English. I don't know how to categorize these types of sentences. Could you help me, please? Thanking you in advance.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 am
by Lorikeet
Both of them seem to have be verbs omitted. I don't know a special name for it though. A reduction of some sort perhaps?

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 am
by fluffyhamster
Try researching terms such as the following: abbreviated language, block language, ellipsis, headlinese/newspaper language, minor sentence, non-sentence. Then take your pick lol.

Note that the term 'reduced' is usually reserved for reduced/participial relative clauses.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:11 pm
by kapvijay
Thanks Lorikeet for having given a small spark on the topic.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm
by kapvijay
Hello fluffyhamster, I'll study the terms and come for a discussion. thanking you........