Personal name expansion

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kapvijay

Personal name expansion

Post by kapvijay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:43 am

What it is called 'expanding personal names when we tell our names to others to write in forms?
e.g. ALBERT,
A for Angel, L for Lion, B for Bird, E for Easy, R for Rock and T for Tower.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:30 pm

It is called the International Spelling Code and is A for Alpha, B for Bravo, C for Charlie, etc. it is used for pilots and others to spell necessary words.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Googling the term that Sally used uncovered the items all right, but I've always heard them simply called police or military call signs or codewords. You don't need to yourself use those NATO codewords when spelling things over the phone though, just use whatever common words come to mind! E.g. Apple, Banana, Carrot, Dog, Elephant, and so on. You can practise by playing the game called Categories - think of animals, or countries, or food, or fruit, or..., and go through the alphabet trying to think of only animals, or countries, etc beginning with each letter of the alphabet. (You can see I had to switch categories in my list because I couldn't easily think of any food beginning with D). If on the other hand you need to practise simply pronouncing the actual sounds of the letters as in the Alphabet Song, then I suggest spelling out initialisms such as (the) BBC, CIA, FBI etc letter by letter.

GeorgiPorgy

Post by GeorgiPorgy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am

The NATO Alphabet.
I have made it a habit to always teach students the NATO Alphabet, it is incredibly useful to them as many 'non English' names are somewhat difficult to spell, especially over the phone, so knowing the NATO Alphabet comes in handy.