What do you think about strategy instruction?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

How do you deal with learner strategy instruction?

Every lesson! Chamot and Oxford are my idols...
No votes
If I see a need, I might try to help a student out...
57%
I know about it somewhat, but who cares!
No votes
Chamot who? I didn't go to Oxford...
14%
Sounds interesting, but I don't know anything about it...
29%

Total votes: 7

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Oh come on Fluffy, admit that you have enjoyed this little "scratching" as much as I have...I'm only spinning your wheel! Don't leave me (you are the only person who has tried to help me, apart from the mysterious and pragmatic, Heath)

I am only a newcomer and I admit to knowing very little about linguistics, you should be gentle with me. I just want to know how I can apply it to my teaching. I DO appreciate your replies!
Aww :oops: , alright Betty, I'll admit that I like a good scratch as much as the next hamster (care to tickle my tick-infested tummy?), and I can be a bit of a pain (even mean and bar-nibbling) at times. So please accept my sincere apologies, and allow me to say once again, Welcome to the forums! :) :wink:

("The wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead": variant of 'The lights are on but nobody's home' in the Longman Idioms Dictionary. :D ).

Betty Swollocks

Post by Betty Swollocks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 pm

haha Thanks Fluffy!

"The wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead"

I like this 8)

Heath

We all mean well, deep down, though.

Post by Heath » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 am

Hmm... I hadn't realised that that could be interpreted two ways. (It wasn't meant to sound like "We all mean well, but only deep down").

Mysterious? Me? As opposed to too open and too direct?

Oh, by the way Fluffy, I mean I agree with you (I think). I don't rate detailed knowledge about learning styles or use of the Keyword Technique very highly. I do value learning strategy training though.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Ooh, I don't know Heath - practically every time you post I think to myself, 'Hey, there goes the most mysterious member of the forums!'. (You probably have a secret underground training center somewhere! :D ). Anyway, I just wish I could be as pragmatic! :cry: :wink: 8) :)

Heath

Post by Heath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:41 am

Hmm... an underground 'strategy training' centre?