Help! Grammar Question

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

analeigh

Help! Grammar Question

Post by analeigh » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:16 pm

I'm a very new teacher, and my school assigned me to teach TOEFL writing. I'm trying to keep up with my students about grammar, but it's tough because, for the most part, they know more than I do. They're all advanced and I'm a brand new teacher, I just started in September.

One of my students asked me a question today that I really can't find an answer for: she wanted to know the rule about how to create sentences such as, "Being asked, she was forced to admit her mistake." I think "being asked" is the present passive participle, but I can't find any information about rules of how and when it is formed and used. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
ac

jotham

participial phrase

Post by jotham » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:23 pm

You might check, but I think the right way to say it is "having been asked,..."
This is a participial modifier. Your example acts as an adjective modifiying the subject she. Here is a site with lots of information if you scroll down a bit:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... rbals.html

EH

Post by EH » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Try posting this on the applied linguistics board. There are lots of great grammarians there.

-EH

ydrysss

Post by ydrysss » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:50 am

I suggest you look up the meaning of a "gerund" because this sentence sounds a little bit like a "sentence fragment" or an example of elipsis.

jotham

Post by jotham » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:50 pm

I don't think I'd go there. A gerund is a noun, but the subject is she.

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 pm

You might check, but I think the right way to say it is "having been asked,..."
Nope, that's different.

'Being asked' is perfectly correct. It's a participial construction, the same as
"Feeling hungry, he bought a hot dog."

jotham

Post by jotham » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:03 am

Ok, I think I "might could" understand now: "Being asked by the King to admit her mistake, she was forced to admit her mistake right there on the spot." I read it different: "Having been asked a question that challenged her belief, she was forced to admit her mistake."
That's why I said it needed to be checked: the sentence doesn't tell us much about the situation. They can both work depending on the situation.

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:24 am

It's only partly a time thing: "Being asked" does suggest to me that the answer was wanted there and then, or better still that it was being asked over and over again. "Having been" suggests a time gap between the asking and the answering.

Saying that/Having said that, something about "Being asked" jars.

Perhaps it'd sounds better if we knew what she was being asked, or "asked" is not the best word, or it sounds as if someone has forgotten the "On" of "On being asked" or perhaps it only works best as "background":

"Feeling under pressure, she was forced......."

"Constantly being asked (what though?), she was forced ........"

In other words it's a short version of "She was being asked something and she was forced........"

Though the more I think about it, "Being asked" is just too terse.

I'll stop now. I feel my cheeks bulging, whiskers appearing and I want to run inside a little wheel.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:08 pm

I'd prefer to use "When asked, she..."

This is an example of what my text (Top 20: Great Grammar for Great Writing) calls an "adverb clause reduction".

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:52 pm

One of my Linguistics lecturers said that "dangling participles" (as she called them) were unacceptable in written English, and alternative constructions should be used (e.g. in this case we should say As he had been asked...).

IIRC Prince Charles was criticised in the media for his grammar when, during an interview, he said his marriage to Diana had "irretrievably broken down, us both having tried".

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:01 pm

It's his mum's English. She probably told him he could say anything he wanted.

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:08 pm

This one isn't dangling. It's right next to what it qualifies.

jotham

Post by jotham » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:14 am

Yes, Stephen Jones is right. A dangling modifier would be "Going out the door, the clock struck twelve." It is dangling because the clock isn't going out the door — a person presumably is.
Analeigh's getting so much help on this one sentence alone. After we left no stone unturned, there shouldn't be any grammar question students ask that will trip her now.