What languages do not use present progressive?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

teacherjuli

What languages do not use present progressive?

Post by teacherjuli » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have to give a presentation to my classmates about present progressive versus simple present. I would like to talk about languages that do not use present progressive. Does any one know of any? If so, could you please give me an example sentence in that language and explain how they would indicate that something is happening in the present moment?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,

Juliana

metal56

Post by metal56 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:10 pm

To say “I am working” also indicates my present state, even if technically speaking “working” is the present participle, not an adjective. Interestingly, in French there is no present progressive tense, they use an adjectival phrase which translates, “I am in the process of to work”. A fine line indeed between adjectives and participles!

http://apprendre-anglais.blogspot.com/2 ... esent.html

metal56

Post by metal56 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:14 pm

German has no present progressive tense ("am going"/"are buying"). The German Präsens "ich kaufe" can be translated into English as "I buy" or "I am buying," depending on the context.

http://german.about.com/library/anfang/blanfang04b.htm

teacherjuli

Thanks

Post by teacherjuli » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:43 pm

These are very helpful examples! I appreciate it.

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Considering that the main use of the present progtressive in English is to talk about the future, I am not at all sure that the basis of your presentation is correct.

Metamorfose

Post by Metamorfose » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:25 am

Considering that the main use of the present progtressive in English is to talk about the future
Where or what do you base on to say so?

José

Jimbobob

Post by Jimbobob » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:35 am

Where or what do you base on to say so?

José
I don't have a study or some numbers to back it up, but it certainly seems that way to me:

"I'm going to Texas on Friday"
"I'm playing baseball tomorrow"
"I'm giving a speech at the assembly"
"I'm teaching the ESOL class next semester"

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:11 am

Three of Jimbob's examples contain time references, while the third is unlikely to refer to the present unless the speaker were called on their mobile in the middle of the speech. What about these:

I'm going to Texas (said in an airport lounge)
I'm teaching the ESOL class this semester

The bottom line is that in English you need to look at contextual clues to be sure about time - verb forms just don't provide enough of the right kind of information.

teacherjuli

interesting

Post by teacherjuli » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:19 pm

The reason why I will focus on present progressive to describe the present moment is because I teach beginning ESL students who would not necessarily be ready for the future tense.

However, these are interesting ideas. Maybe I will also mention them during my presentation. Thanks!

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:01 pm

Why are you teachng the present progressive to beginning ESL students. In what kind of situations would you expect them to use it?

teacherjuli

Post by teacherjuli » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Because, that's the way it's ordered in the textbook. :?

Good question...

metal56

Post by metal56 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:32 am

Stephen Jones wrote:Why are you teachng the present progressive to beginning ESL students. In what kind of situations would you expect them to use it?
In the situations where they might feel they need it. What do you need it for?

lucy lace

Post by lucy lace » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm

NS in my dialect use the present progressive all the time - it definately needs to be taught - we are guilty of using it for present habit, which confuses Asian students who have memorized the whole present-tense-for-habitual-action thing.

EX:

"Oh, you're looking great! Have you lost weight?"
"Yes, I'm walking every day. I'm also eating less."

metal56

Post by metal56 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:19 pm

<we are guilty of using it for present habit>

Why should we feel guilty about that?

lucy lace

Post by lucy lace » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:23 am

I don't feel guilty at all; it's my dialect. I was more commenting on the accusatory attitude my students have (habit is present tense! It says so in Azar!) when I teach it. Not in an ESL class; I teach TESOL and one of the grammar units is about the relationship between tense and time. I merely point out that NS sometimes use the progressive when the 'rule' calls for present tense, and vice versa. Consider the rule that actions at the moment of speaking should be in the progressive, and think about cooking shows: "Now I take the egg and beat it with the sugar." There are tonnes of exceptions to what is traditionally taught as definitive present tense/present progressive usage.