Respect

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:08 pm

There are a number of students at our university who are studying chat lines and forums. Fascinating stuff. There is really nowhere else in the world that this kind of thread and behaviour could continue for so long.
I believe this debate on respect has been going on since I joined and probably before. Shantung was a master at this and because of the reponse to him, I learned so much from regular posters. (I really miss Larry Lantham.)

I find these threads useful for my students to learn ways to deflect others from a topic and it is useful to learn terms that are disparaging to others (hopefully never to use them themselves though). It is superb for teaching irony and how to make saterical comments.

It is interesting to see the difference between an oral argument, a chat line argument and an academic argument.

I also find that in some cases it really prods people to think about their reactions and their writing so they go to a deeper level on the topic. I am not sure how else you would prod people to do that.

Where else can you tell people your ideas anonymously? It is really truly remarkable that this is available.

For those of you who haven't posted because you fear an attack, just post anonymously and don't read anything that is too difficult for you to take at the moment. That is also the beauty of these threads. You can stop posting if you feel attacked and wait until you have thought about it a bit more. Then you can go back and read over it again when it does't feel so personal or you have a distance from it.

You can also just ignore it or someone who is able can reinterpret the message in more supportive terms.

It might be something to do with age as well. Did you know that there are many people over 65 who post here? That is very unusual in the Internet arena. Just check how many people there are over 65 on Facebook.

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:39 pm

Another thing to remember is that this isn't real. We are just user names and JuanTwoThree is very different from us*. metal56 isn't a person but more of a character in a play that we are all improvising. It doesn't matter. Don't let it get to you.

For all you know, everybody except you, yes you, is the same person having a huge laugh at your expense.

* we are a silent order of nuns, The Little Sisters of the Future Perfect. We are not in Spain but high on a mountain in British Columbia. The internet is our only contact with the outside world but we have to pretend to be other people.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 pm

metal56 isn't a person but more of a character in a play that we are all improvising.
Like the Truman show? :wink:

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:03 pm

As I say, for all you know the rest of us are in fact only one person.

What I really mean is that the persona metal56 is terse often to the point of rudeness, JuanTwoThree is conciliatory, fluffy is fluffy etc. But I'm not necessarily like my character and I don't let any of this get to me.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm

What I really mean is that the persona metal56 is terse often to the point of rudeness, JuanTwoThree is conciliatory, fluffy is fluffy etc. But I'm not necessarily like my character and I don't let any of this get to me.
I guess, put together, we make up one pretty complete, well-adjusted, exciting, person.

:lol:

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:17 am

I guess, put together, we make up one pretty complete, well-adjusted, exciting, person.
Complete? Maybe. Well-adjusted? Not so sure about that. Exciting? Pah! These threads just get more and more predictable IMO. We're turning into a bunch of regulars down the pub, sat round the same table having the same drunken spats every Friday night.

Personally, I'd like to see some new blood here. A little civility (for once) might encourage some new posters instead of scaring them off. How about giving it a try?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:55 am

These threads just get more and more predictable IMO.
Are you doing anything to aid that?
A little civility (for once) might encourage some new posters instead of scaring them off.
You mean you want to fill this forum with a bunch of wussies? Haven't we got enough with Fluffed, Revel, you, etc.?

:twisted:

What's predictable is your call for civility. For me, things go up and down here. Sometime civility reigns, other times not. Like life, really? Why would you want this forum to be any less than life-like?

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:57 am

Are you doing anything to aid that?
You mean apart from drawing attention to the fact? IMO pointing out that a problem exists is the first step to doing something about it.
you mean you want to fill this forum with a bunch of wussies? Haven't we got enough with Fluffed, Revel, you, etc.?
No, Metal, that's not what I mean and I think you know it. As usual, you take something someone else has said to an extreme and try to claim that that's what they're trying to say. This is exactly what I mean when I talk about predictable responses: even when I make a point about predictability, you lapse right into your usual, predictable self.
What's predictable is your call for civility. For me, things go up and down here. Sometime civility reigns, other times not. Like life, really? Why would you want this forum to be any less than life-like?
In other words "You're just as bad, nah nah na naah nah!" YAWN! Grow up! As usual, you ignore the argument and hope no one will notice (quoting 'n' quipping is not the same as addressing an argument). Actually, civility only reigns here when people agree with you; when they don't, the gloves come off.

Like life? Hah! I doubt you would dare say half the things you do if this was real life and you had a real person in front of you.

Things are going down more than up, and I think new people are being put off posting here. Not that I expect you to give a damn.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:21 pm

You mean apart from drawing attention to the fact? IMO pointing out that a problem exists is the first step to doing something about it.
Let's make it clearer for you. Are you, or have you been, participating in making this place one of, in your mind, predictability?
As usual, you take something someone else has said to an extreme and try to claim that that's what they're trying to say.
Note that I asked a question.
In other words "You're just as bad, nah nah na naah nah!" YAWN! Grow up!
Don't think I've ever denied that. It's you who is in denial, dearie.
(quoting 'n' quipping is not the same as addressing an argument).
It's good way of addressing a non-argument. You think just because you want to make it an argument then it is so?
I doubt you would dare say half the things you do if this was real life and you had a real person in front of you.
If it were you, I'd have no problem in doing so.
Things are going down more than up, and I think new people are being put off posting here.
Let them say so. Now, on with Applied Linguistics.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Thank you, metal, for using this thread to demonstrate exactly the kinds of playground behaviour that led to revel starting it in the first place. If anyone here is in denial, it's you; no one has ever felt the need to start a thread to comment on my conduct, yet you persist in pleading "not guilty" when your behaviour is consistently flagged up by other posters. Now that you've amply proved every point I've made about your conduct, not to mention your inability or unwillingness to take on board anything that anyone, including our mod, has flagged up (not that I ever expected you to), I really don't need to add anything more.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:09 pm

yet you persist in pleading "not guilty" when your behaviour is consistently flagged up by other posters.
Show me where I did that.
Now that you've amply proved every point I've made about your conduct, not to mention your inability or unwillingness to take on board anything that anyone, including our mod, has flagged up (not that I ever expected you to), I really don't need to add anything more.
Maybe now you can begin enyoying your weekend - if it's not almost over.

:idea:

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:32 pm

So you don't deny it then?
I did - the football and rugby gave me plenty to smile about.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:35 pm

metal56 wrote:Maybe now you can begin enyoying your weekend - if it's not almost over.

:idea:
Like you don't spend just as much if not more time on here, protesting your innocence. Go join OJ in the bar for an OJ.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Be fair, fluff, he only does it to expose everyone else's hypocrisy :lol:

metal56

Post by metal56 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:20 am

lolwhites wrote:
So you don't deny it then?

??? I repeat, show me where I did that. Link?
I did - the football and rugby gave me plenty to smile about.
All those lovely legs, eh?

:P