Respect

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:09 pm

That's right, metal, the problem is we're all out if step with you!
Whose this "all" you keep involving? Can you list them?
you attract more criticism than everyone else put together.
Maybe I have less to lose than some of you.
This isn't a conspiracy, we didn't pm
There's that "we" again.
- deriding posters whose opinions you happen not to share, attacking people, not arguments.
- not presenting other poster's arguments fairly e.g. taking them to. extremes and then trying to argue that was what they were trying to say.
- only responding to the parts of posts to which you can think of an easy put down and ignoring the rest.
- dismissing other opinions without bothering to give any supporting arguments (e.g. "What nonsense", "rubbish" etc).

Hm, sounds like Fluffed.
You are not the only person to have done these things, but you do them far more often and more consistently than anyone else.
Oh goody. why don't we start a thread for each of the others who've done that naughty stuff? You could have your very own thread, Lowhiteassnow. Would you like that?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:52 am

lolwhites wrote:
metal56 wrote:Whinger.
My point exactly. This is just the kind of BS I (and others) have come to expect from you, yet for some reason it's fluff, revel and I who have the problem.
Okay, I have the problem too. I don't like to read the whinging/whining/putdowns. I try to read over them quickly. I don't usually complain about it or bother with it. Just because I'm silent doesn't mean I like it.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:52 am

I was all ready to drop this until Thursday 18th, when a certain someone just couldn't resist coming back for a final putdown, probably in the hope of scoring a free hit. But clearly I'm not allowed to point out such behaviour, so instead how about this:

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that metal, fluff and myself are equally guilty. No, let's go further and assume I'm the worst offender. Agreed? Good, so let's drop the "others do it too" defence. Now, how about all of us dropping the particular posting habits I listed above, and we'll see who can go longest without slipping back into them.

If fluffy is hamster enough and metal is willing to show just what alloy he's made of, I'm prepared to show how whiter than white I can be.

Deal?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 am

One gets the feeling that both Fluffed and Lolaswhiteassnow thrive on such threads as this one.

:lol:
If fluffy is hamster enough and metal is willing to show just what alloy he's made of, I'm prepared to show how whiter than white I can be.
And where's the fun in that? Back to creating an artificial world, you want, is it?

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:09 am

One gets the feeling that both Fluffed and Lolaswhiteassnow thrive on such threads as this one.
I think you mean you get the feeling... Why do you think I proposed what I did?
And where's the fun in that? Back to creating an artificial world, you want, is it?
Civility often seems a bit "artificial", but it doesn't cost anything. Shall I assume your answer is "no" then? Don't you even want to try?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 am

Civility often seems a bit "artificial", but it doesn't cost anything.
Apart from the loss of a few laughs and becoming a boring, over-sensitive old git.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 am

Don't you even want to try?
You're already trying enough. Very trying indeed.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:56 am

Apart from the loss of a few laughs and becoming a boring, over-sensitive old git.
It stopped being funny quite a long time ago.
You're already trying enough. Very trying indeed.
With jokes like that I advise you not to give up the day job.

OK, have it your way but for the record, I proposed we exercise a bit of maturity and you didn't want to know. So let's have no more of this "You're all hypocrites, you all do the same as me" rubbish.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:54 am

It stopped being funny quite a long time ago.
Time to move on? Where will you go?
With jokes like that I advise you not to give up the day job.
You could safely give up your. There's a place waiting for you in any undertaker's.
proposed we exercise a bit of maturity
Being mature is understanding that real life is full of odd and wonderful characters. Your idea of maturity comes from moralist and behaviourist tomes. If you want to build a religion or construct a church, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Found this from 2003

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:44 am Post subject: Re: Let's Get this Show on the Road
Evening to you, Aristotle -

The rules? Well, the warning pretty much says it all, which is basically be nice, avoid profanity, and don't flame. Human decency, common sense ... that sort of thing.

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
- h

Have you listented to Dave's interview on the home page? It is uplifting to think that he designed all this for us.

I sure appreicate the three jobs I found on the job boards. Thanks Dave and to Lorikeet for volunteering to read all this.. Helps to be a mother doesn't it?

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:38 pm

Sally, please tell us, you're not really trying to troll us so we start flaming you. I'm just so tempted :)

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:48 am

metal56 wrote:Being mature is understanding that real life is full of odd and wonderful characters. Your idea of maturity comes from moralist and behaviourist tomes. If you want to build a religion or construct a church, maybe you should go elsewhere.
Most people just want to discuss matters relating to teaching (which includes, yes, AL, linguistics etc); doing so becomes rather difficult if not impossible however when...

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:47 am

metal56 wrote:Being mature is understanding that real life is full of odd and wonderful characters. Your idea of maturity comes from moralist and behaviourist tomes.
Your idea of "understanding that real life is full of odd and wonderful characters" is taking crap from other people. I hope you don't count yourself as "odd and wonderful" (though one out of two isn't bad).

Yet again, you take something someone else has said to extremes. You talk as if there were no halfway between flaming people and being prim and proper. Your straw man could use a some decent padding, not to mention a few limbs.
If you want to build a religion or construct a church, maybe you should go elsewhere.
In other words, "if you don't like my flaming, leave the forum." I've no intention of being hounded off this forum by you!

I never talked about building religions or churches. Twice in the same post you use the "take someone's else's views to extremes" ploy. Do you seriously think anyone's going to fall for that one again?

Thank you, Sally, for putting it so succinctly. I don't see anything unreasonable in Dave's advice.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:10 am

Code: Select all

Your idea of "understanding that real life is full of odd and wonderful characters" is taking crap from other people. 
Or being tolerant.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 am

Pah! First you flame, then when anyone objects, they're "intolerant"! Don't insult mt intelligence by trying to pass off offensiveness as eccentricity, it won't wash.

First it was "hypocrisy", now it's "intolerance". It seems to me you will say absolutely anything rather than recognise that your conduct might just, now and again, leave something to be desired.