How to teach English

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:46 am

mesomorph wrote:Thank you for your contribution Mr(s) Hamster
Last time I "got sexed" I was apparently a male. :o
Teachers use the deductive method.
What is that, exactly? All I'll say is that the terms that are used in AL can be unclear or even counter-intuitive.
Teachers use TTT (sometimes 'lashings of ill-prepared TTT')
But what is your view generally of TTT (assuming it is unprepared but not too bad)? My own view is that is should be cut out when it has not been carefully planned to demonstrate actual usage and lead into/encourage authentic responses (or simply "unauthentic" methodological copying) from learners.
Teachers use and analyse written texts (or spoken texts as printed).
Indeed they do. What of it?
A teacher need not use tree diagrams, TG, UG.
But some teachers (and learners) seem to get off on this stuff, and it can be useful sometimes (e.g. with analyzing ambiguous sentences, assuming they are genuine and not constructed to simply amuse, or worse, confound).

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:49 am

Fluffy don't worry about my parroting your contribution back to you

I am not trying to play any Jedi mind tricks

I am just organising the responses to the research questions

Thank you for your links, I have looked through them

I copied and pasted your booklist post - it came to 6 pages in a word document

As for the other one, I agree

Simple Present > Simple Past > Present Perfect

Simply because simple present seems to be the baseline, simple past the baseline with a retroactive twist (a definition of which would logically require the intial construction of a baseline - the simple present), present perfect the more complex form including the new concept of 'have/had' and the previously studied concept of the past.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:27 am

But people will get soon tired of you just 'organizing their responses to your research questions': there is no sustenance, nothing that will sustain their interest or a discussion, in that for anyone here. Borrowing somewhat from Dave Barry, come back when you've got something half-baked or more that a toothpick won't stick in. Not to sound patronizing, but you've probably got to gain some TEFL experience and/or change your research methods before you can expect to gain from these forums; as it is you come across as way too sponge-like and accepting to my mind. Plus it would help if you got my views on the suitable order for teaching those three tenses (two simple and one compound) right before appearing to go for the traditional time-honoured order that gets the more logical students weeping and writing philosophical treatises - at least then we could agree to disagree LOL.

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:17 am

fluffyhamster wrote:But people will get soon tired of you just 'organizing their responses to your research questions': there is no sustenance, nothing that will sustain their interest or a discussion, in that for anyone here. Borrowing somewhat from Dave Barry, come back when you've got something half-baked or more that a toothpick won't stick in. Not to sound patronizing, but you've probably got to gain some TEFL experience and/or change your research methods before you can expect to gain from these forums; as it is you come across as way too sponge-like and accepting to my mind. Plus it would help if you got my views on the suitable order for teaching those three tenses (two simple and one compound) right before appearing to go for the traditional time-honoured order that gets the more logical students weeping and writing philosophical treatises - at least then we could agree to disagree LOL.
Let me explain a few things to you.

1. This is my thread and I can and will do what I want in it.
2. This thread is for posting answers to my research questions. Not for 'fluffy' musings, or disordered and confused public regressions into verbal pseudo-consciousness.
3. I have realisitc expectations of myself and I certainly do not need something of your condition to attempt to define what I need or should be doing.
4. I have a right to be here and do not respect your subconscious claims to authority/hegemonical positions despite the fact you think you deserve it.
5. The reason I come across as 'sponge like and accepting' to your mind is primarily because you do not understand the concept of academic research methodology (evident from very early on). Also because you are closed and conflictual.
6. Where and when did I state your views on the tenses? I am in agreement with the order they were posted in, which I qouted.
7. From the first time you posted in my thread I have not liked you. There is a real pretentious and ostentatious tone that underlys your postings. It really irks me. I find you tawdry and vulgar.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:17 am

7. From the first time you posted in my thread I have not liked you. There is a real pretentious and ostentatious tone that underlys your postings. It really irks me. I find you tawdry and vulgar.
Not sure which thread you're referring to. If it's the International forums one, all I did was point out how patronizing soapdodger can be before giving you some sound advice (which you indeed sort of thanked me for by calling it "well intentioned"); as for this AL thread, there probably wasn't a need for it, and you weren't ever going to get an easy ride over here (as the initial responses show), but I don't think any of what I've said called for that kind of hostility. It would be nice actually if you showed that you were capable of discussion, but that seems beyond you, so committed are you to your research method (and wow, what probing questions you ask).

Anyway, it took a while to get some sort of human and "normal" response out of you; I just have to wonder though who is now going to bother continuing to humour you by even attempting to answer any of your questions (questions that are so general you might as well stick with books like Harmer and spare us writing one ourselves).

Good luck with the job in France (you'll probably need it), and here's to hoping that you do a good job and come back here one day to give us some real pearls of wisdom (we can always do with more). 8)

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:35 am

The reason I mention January is that academic years often start in September or October, as you know.

The reality of your situation may be that you get the job, are told which are your groups, told which page they're on in the coursebooks they've been using since September and that you have to do a unit a week without fail. Hitting the ground running becomes the priority. Not syllabus or needs or much else.

That's what happened to me. I started in January because the teacher I was taking over from had been fired at Xmas after a three month trial. The students weren't happy because they didn't like change as a rule. I had no say in anything at all and a rigid schedule to stick to.

If you are starting a third of the way through a course then I'd be extremely curious about what happened to bring this situation about if I were you.

Of course you may be being interviewed for courses that start when your job starts and if you're very lucky indeed you might get a say in the syllabus, choice of material, material preparation, level testing, group formation, needs analysis and so on. All priorities of course but tell that to your bosses.

Very Very Lucky Indeed. With your qualifications and expertise it may be a job with an element of these things. I hope so.

But if not, your own priorities are more to do with surviving, even if you are at the beginning of a course. This scenario is similar to the first: Here's your group, this is your material and you must finish this much of it by such and such a time. The group may not be all of the same level depending on how scrupulous the school is, the material wildly inappropriate. Those "modules" may be scruffy photocopies and the CD's less than a dozen.

"Attention to diversity" translates into the fact that half the class doesn't understand your first words, let alone your carefully prepared home-made material, if you're even allowed to use any.

Terminology: EFL students in Europe are very knowledgable, in my experience. They'll throw a lot of terminology at you even though they can't string together meaningful speech that puts these ideas into practice.
It's worth flicking through something like Murphy's "Advanced Grammar in Use" to see what terms are used in the average classroom and coursebook. What you're used to may not be the same.

I may be wrong. I hope I am. But this is your first job in EFL without even that noddy CELTA qualification (which is a bit like the driving test, it means you're safe-ish but not skilled though to be fair it safely guided me through my first year).

Your organisational skills are considerable and I wish you well with them. but EFL isn't academia or even primary or secondary education really. It's business. You'll have to sell your personality, abilities, sense of humour, patience and so on. First at the interview and then in the first classes to the customers. Then in each class you'll have to sell a little chunk of progress in one or more of the four skills in return for the money that each student has paid.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 pm

He might need burping after that dollop of baby food, JTT - probably best to keep the kid gloves on, then.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Here's an example of a thread that generated a fair amount of discussion recently:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewtopic.php?p=36421

Note that the OP didn't start or leave it at '1. How does an (sic) TEFL/EFL/ESL teacher teach listening? (Facetious answer number 1: They get a CD or preferably a videotape and play it); 2. What methods and strategies do TEFL/EFL/ESL teachers use to teach listening? (Huh? Same question almost, but here's a correspondingly longer but still facetious answer: Confiscating mobiles, MP3s etc is a good start).'

No, she'd done some thinking for herself (as anyone with half a brain soon will, when presented with just the rather thin "recommended" strategy) and stuck her neck out a bit. Good on her.

Hmm, I've always fancied being a bit of a chef, so I think I'll ask Gordon Ramsay how a cook cooks. I wonder what sort of answer he'll give me. I just hope he doesn't swear too much (and if he does, I'll give him a piece of my mind, such as it is).

Linda T.

Some ESL (rather than EFL) -based experience answers

Post by Linda T. » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:02 pm

I agree that it is difficult to know how to begin to answer these questions because they are so incredibly broad, but I will give it my best shot. If taken literally, a Foreign Language School would be one in a non-English speaking country as opposed to a Second Language School. My experience, except for my TEFL training, has been in a Second Language School where students are never younger than 16 years old so I am not sure how valuable the following will be.

1. How does an TEFL/EFL/ESL teacher teach English in a foreign language school?

I can only tell how I personally teach English to non-native English speakers in a school setting. I use the text selected by the school as a guide for the theme/subject, vocabulary, and grammar structure to be introduced in whatever unit we are studying. If I like the activities suggested in the book, I use them, but I always have plenty of my own thought out ahead of time in case an activity bombs and to supplement those in the book. I try to find out why the students are learning English and what they feel their strengths and weaknesses are, but I find that the weaknesses/strengths they assess in themselves are not necessarily where their true weaknesses and strengths as English speakers are.

2. What methods and strategies do TEFL/EFL/ESL teachers use to teach English in a foreign language school?

I can only tell my own methods and strategies. I try to encourage a supportive environment and concentrate on listening skills as much as speaking skills. In fact, in small group conversations, I put the responsibility on the listener to draw the speaker out (through the listener being interested, encouraging, and asking questions). Then I will have the listener report what they heard back to the class as a whole. I make practice as fun and engaging as possible through frequent use of competitive games. I encourage comraderie, respect, and humor as much as possible in my classes. I emphasize communication and fluency over perfection and encourage facial expression and body language in that regard. I am strict regarding not allowing my students to speak unless everyone is listening, but never pass up an opportunity for humor if I can help it and appreciate it when my students do likewise. My overall goal is for my students to feel good about themselves and one another as they succeed beyond their expectations. I also try to teach them the types of people-skills (like firm handshakes and good ways to start conversations and good ways to show others that you are interested in what they have to say) that are prized in native-English speaking countries and which subjects are best to stay away from (how much things cost, religion, and politics).

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm

The findings to this research project have been published here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic ... 298#622298

I hope many of you enjoy it.

:wink:

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Wow! Now that's what I call an idiot's guide! Well worth the wait.

Thanks everso, and a Merry Christmas to you too!

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:28 am

fluffyhamster wrote:Wow! Now that's what I call an idiot's guide! Well worth the wait.

Thanks everso, and a Merry Christmas to you too!
Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth
Last edited by mesomorph on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:29 am

I didn't come this far to bandy crooked words with a twisted worm

revel

So glad....

Post by revel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey all.

After having read the "research project" offered as a result of those few, grossly generalized questions, I am so glad that I did not take part in this discussion. Though the results are more or less presented in a clear way, they do not at all answer the questions posted. I am so glad my answers were not included in that blender and then shot back out as guacamole.

It seems to me a very responsible task to ask oneself, as an inexperienced teacher, the questions offered, however I think I would have looked for more sources than just one book with a title that promises to help the inexperienced overcome the hurdles that a new job offers. Only experience does such. And the various and sundry replies that make up the "Dave's" part of the "project" are things we experienced teachers already know about and are sometimes tired of sharing with the inexperienced. Nothing I could offer would be useful as it has often been rightly pointed out that what works for me is because it is I who is using those techniques or methods. That is the true work of the teacher who is accumulating experience. This "project" should have been better researched and notated and kept to the OP's self in the notebooks where such things hide for years until we get around to finally throwing them out one fine Spring Cleaning.

My concluding remark might just be "get thee to the library and read all of those books on teaching, teaching ESL, teaching in a foreign land, etc, that are in the stacks. Get the job and convince the students and bosses that you know what you are doing even if you don't." Posting on Dave's is not the same as publishing in "Applied Linguistics Today" (does that scientific journal exist? Were we doctors I might have said "Lancet" or "JAMA", you get my meaning.) Keep notes but keep them to yourself until someone hires you to lead a teacher-training workshop.

Uuff! Am I in a spicy mood today!? Sorry about that, no offense meant and hopefully not taken.

peace,
revel.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:16 pm

mesomorph wrote:I didn't come this far to bandy crooked words with a twisted worm
Yet, verily, forsoothing action use Ralgex, thou ist yet bandying merrily withst thist crooked worm, despitest thou having clump-ed sooo farest. Methinks thou needest a sittest down*ss. Hark, what stink through yonder door wafts? Ah, tis thine slippers, fetched by thine faithful drooling hound.