How important is learning vocabulary in an English lesson?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bradwelljackson

How important is learning vocabulary in an English lesson?

Post by bradwelljackson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:12 am

Obviously it's important, but how important? Is it the most important thing? More important than grammar? Or speaking? Or listening? For example, is learning new vocabulary 50% of a lesson? Less? More?

Rp

Vocabulary in an English lesson

Post by Rp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Hello:

To answer this question, you really need to examine the needs assessment of your contract and your students. I see that you teach in China.

It is my understanding that China prefers its students to gain expertise in reading and writing English. If that is your mandate, then, vocabulary is important as it is the only avenue to the language and depending on the material, can have a highly controlled delivery.

If your mandate is to model authentic language, then there will be a large variance in the types of vocabulary one uses. And, the additional requirement of listening and speaking the language...which in and of itself tends to centre on "useful" vocabulary.

While not a short answer, essentially you always go back to the contracts and students needs to develop your lessons.

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:27 am

The school I work for is Aston and they focus more on speaking and listening, which I agree is the best way to learn English. So, if a lesson is focused on speaking, should learning new vocabulary play the most important role, or is grammar more important? How much time should you spend just writing new words on the board and explaining their meanings? 50%?

Rp

Importance of vocabulary

Post by Rp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:39 pm

I have always tried to avoid grammar, or should I say, I always focus on speaking, listening, reading and writing....in that order. When the need for a grammar correction arises, we discuss it. However, I am in an ESL setting.....in EFL the orientation is very different.

Since, written material is probably the mainstay of practising the target language out side of the class room, I would probably have 40% grammar introduced into the sessions.

Question for you, do you issue home work, and if so, what type: translation, learning journal, creative writting, stc...?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:05 pm

out side > outside
class room > classroom
home work > homework
fluf fy ham ster > fluffyhamster

:D

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 am

Since vocabulary shouldn't be taught in lists, for the most part, once you've got beyond colours etc, the problem isn't that severe. Learning vocab is a side issue you can deal with while learning the four skills.

I'm sort of on the verge of accepting a job as a TESOL instructor by the way. Look out, oh ye poor would-be teachers of the planet!

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:43 pm

You sure that you want to do that, Woody? (Oh no I mean YES, the ambiguity! :twisted: :lol: :wink: 8) ).

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:40 am

No, not at all. In fact, bok bok bok, I've chickened out of it.

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 am

Rp - The homework I issue is for kids, and it's not learning journal, creative writting, but more like writing the word down five times and also writing the translation. I guess that's what Old Mr. Hamster from Fluffy Town is referring to, though he did it in such a slay, whimsical way that I'm sure it's over my flat head :wink: (By the way, who *will* make the wedding gown?) :shock:
Anyway, I'll revise my question by asking: If I'm teaching 14 year old kids English, and there's no Chinese teacher to translate, how much time do I spend explaining vocabulary? Is this just as important as teaching the grammar?

Rp

Post by Rp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Bradwell that is a tough one. In essence, the vocabulary does become their grammar, as the target language would probably be only used in the classroom.

I would suspect you are using some form of GTM, so 60/40 may be appropriate.

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 am

You won't be explaining vocabulary cold, I suppose. You'll be explaining words in a text, or explaing words for an exercise you are about to do. The text/exercise will be aimed at the level of the class, and only a few new words will need to be explained. Thus, I don't see the need to worry about it.

Rp

Post by Rp » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Yes, woodcutter has made an important point. Your review of the lessons you are planning to deliver will be the best guide.

Eric18

Encourage students to discover, use new vocabulary words

Post by Eric18 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Good questions and interesting discussion.

Encouraging students to find and create their own vocabulary logs is another useful technique.

My standard homework assignment remains having students find, summarize, and present newspaper articles on a topic (elections, housing, job interviews). The worksheet includes finding five new vocabulary words or phrases and writing new sentences. When the students complete their homework, they get together in groups of four and "present" their articles. I circulate around the room checking homework and having small chats. Students, meanwhile, build their own vocabulary logs from their own readings and discussions.

Of course, I introduce a core vocabulary with the homework to establish a baseline. Yet students remain responsible for co-creating the readings and classroom vocabulary.

matbury

Post by matbury » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:51 am

Hi,

In answer to the first question, please check out this post I've just written on teaching vocabulary:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... 9649#39649

Hope this helps.

:)