Do you mind the gap?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Heath

Oh, not so bad...

Post by Heath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am

At first glance I thought it was one of those whacky lets-work-our-way-through-a-million-steps-to-prove-ourselves-right things or an overgeneralisation (like distancing with 'would' and friends); both of which I find unuseful .

But actually, I can see Ss at least going "Oh, yeah..." with this, as long as you give them the usual break up of two sentences first (and as long as we're seeing 2 breads (not 3 or 4).
  • "The bread which I ate was good." =
    I ate some bread. + The bread was good. =
    The bread which I ate (some bread) was good.
Or...
  • Sentence 1: The bread ____ __ __ ________ was good.
    Sentence 2: ________ ____ I ate the bread ___ ____
    RC Combo: The bread which I ate ________ was good.
So, it seems easy enough to show. Perhaps worth it with more analytical students.

Heath

Ooops, no, that's not right.

Post by Heath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:30 am

Oh, wait, hold on... I just realised my reasoning suggested that there ISN'T a gap. There's just a MOVE, right?

Which = a pronoun = "the bread".

So technically it is two sentences:
The bread was good.
I ate the bread.

Then we substitue the 2nd bread for a pronoun.
The bread was good.
I ate which.

Which gives us:
The bread I ate which was good.

But we have to shift it.
The bread which I ate was good.

Um... but then, Woodcutter's dogs eating bones "The dog was big. The dog ate the bone." or "The dog ate the bone. The bone was big." Someone wanna break those two down for me... I have to stop slacking off and get back to work.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi again Heath! Well, when the bread is the undeniable subject, things should be clear enough (and this is when any RP will be obligatory - we are not simply making a statement [e.g. The/Some bread: baked/killed/ate/etc me], but forming a more complex subject...so the function or rather effect of the required RP is simply to delay the appearance of the actual predicate; then there is the accusative/object form 'me'):

Reasonable bread: usually costs only £1.
The mouldy bread that killed me: ironically cost £2 though!

And the bread is still what begins the sentence in The bread (that) I ate: ... , so we are still going to predicate something about that, about what began the sentence (i.e. The bread...), even when here the 'I' rather than 'The bread' is the "real subject" (but only thus far in the sentence...in fact, the whole 'The RP can be omitted when it is the object', or rather "object", rule seems pretty irrelevant given all these "enlargening subjects/delayed predicates"!).

I: ate the bread meanwhile is obviously very different in terms of subject and what is being predicated about it.

I guess I have always been inclined then to leave a lot about RPs (especially when they are part of NPs with differing "subjects" and "objects" within them, and that begin sentences) to simple, relatively straightforward, but hopefully powerful processes of (and tendencies in) linear word order, and to draw whatever attention to them mainly by means of comparing sentences like those I've given in the above, assisted where necessary by quick rough n ready translations into L1.

By the way, I've never been a great fan of, never myself really used, the sentence or proposition-combining approach that you mention, Heath (though when the subject-proposition in each pair relates to the same referent, as in combining I have a friend and He [="who"] might be able to help - see examples in following link(s) - such an approach isn't too brain-bending, and might I suppose have its advantages with certain students). The following thread(s) might be of interest (assuming you’ve not read this stuff already!): http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=4271 .

Hmm, although this is probably a bit clearer than the post with which I started this thread, the points I've made are similar, so I'll stop here before I really do start repeating myself! 8) :)
Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heath

Hi Fluffy

Post by Heath » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 am

Oh, and sorry, I forgot to say 'Hi Fluffy' (it'd been a while, and it's nice to get a welcoming "How's it going?" - thanks).

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:43 am

Heh, no worries, Heath! Have a good Xmas and New Year by the way! :D