Learned or Learnt

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

PatJewett

Learned or Learnt

Post by PatJewett » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Ii think the same error happens with learned and learnt. Be careful you don't get burned or burnt on your next test.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 pm

I thought it was a difference is American/British English, and not an error. (Sorry don't know about the other "Englishes.")

Macavity

Post by Macavity » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:27 am

Some verbs can be both regular and irregular. Where this is so, many British people tend towards the irregular variant (myself included). However, students of English already have enough irregular verbs to learn, so I usually teach the regular verb form in class.

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Me too. But I wonder if I wouldn't almost always favour "burnt toast".

It's worth pointing out that /l/ and /m/ and /n/ don't have unvoiced equivalents so you can't ruin the pronunciation of the final consonant of the root by pronouncing spelled, spoiled, spilled, learned and burned with a final /t/.

Lept, leant, dreamt, and knelt are a bit different of course because the irregular option involves a second change in pronunciation. Does anyone spell them regularly but pronounce them irregularly?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:40 am

Oh I think I never heard of "leant."

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Once upon a time, whenever I saw learned, the first word to spring to mind was the adjective learn-ed (as in a learned professor), but age has mellowed me and I now use context to decide which it is.

ben44la

Post by ben44la » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Isn't this just a difference between American/British English?

learned / learnt
burned / burnt
lended / leant
dreamed / dreamt
smelled / smelt
spelled / spelt
spilled / spilt
spoiled / spoilt

I have used many of these myself and have heard them used in common conversation in the US. In the US this may be another example of register and the adopting of English pronunciation as symbol of class.

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 am

What about bent/bended?

Korean scientists are very fond of the word "bended". Any native speakers slipping down that road? I guess I might be soon if I read too much more Korean science, which will make me look odd but will at least confound a few extremist descriptivists who think that such things never happen.

As to speaking like the English to look classy, that is a very good idea. My North Am. colleagues often tell me in wonder that my son speaks like Prince Charles or is "very articulate" etc. He simply has my mundane slightly Londonized/ruralized southern RP English accent.

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 am

There is nevertheless a subtle difference between a spelling change with a small pronunciation difference:

burned/burnt

learned/learnt (leaving aside "my learnéd friend")

and so on

and a whopping great difference in pronunciation:

leaned/leant

dreamed/dreamt

leaped/leapt/lept.

The verbs in the first group are almost examples of spelling variations.