too or either

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

A further massive contribution from moi to this discussion: yes, NS means native speaker. :)

ronqgentry

Y'all

Post by ronqgentry » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:34 am

Juan, two, three - you're absolutely right. That is the correct history, for anyone's information out there. And thanks for that reference, too. I hadn't seen that. I'm actually going to see that movie with my grandaughter next week and see if they always get y'all right according to the 'Royal Academy' of Texas :wink:
I think the movie takes place in N' Orleans so maybe that's the reason for the one example of the use of y'all for both singular and plural.

I should have made my point more clear. Every part of the English speaking world has some good reason for making up its own regional variations. Are they "bad' grammar? Makes for a good discussion, eh? :D

I actually heard that explanation from a crusty old great uncle of mine who was a retired history professor. I grew up in Texas and I was still a school boy at the time and don't know if he was kidding or not. I had heard a few friends from the more 'yankee' parts of the country use only 'you' and I thought they sounded a bit strange. I'm sure they thought I sounded strange, too.
Anyway, we've strayed far from the original question so I'll sign off for now.