What to do with an MA Applied Linguistics? Advice needed...

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

donovan

What to do with an MA Applied Linguistics? Advice needed...

Post by donovan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum so this is my first post.
I'm in a bit of a situation. I finished a degree in Theology a few years ago that I undertook without considering the fact that I'd be unable to find work later on, and last year enrolled in a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics which I'm about to finish in June. I took the MAAL because I love language, but I'm a bit worried because it seems as if I now have two worthless qualifications that won't get me into a career.
I'm 26 years old and still working in coffee shops and kitchens, something that's really depressing me. I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who might have suggestions as to where I could/should head from here with my two qualifications.
I also speak Arabic as a second language, which is my only other useful skill.
I've considered doing a TESOL or CELTA straight after I finish the MAAL, which I guess would get me into a job somewhere. Alternatively I'd like to teach ancient Greek and Hebrew, as I studied these in my Bachelor.

I just need stability in my life and can't keep working casual, minimum wage cafe jobs. I'll have to take the military option soon if things don't pick up. Help!

Donovan.

J.M.A.

Post by J.M.A. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Go to the Gulf. You can research your options on the Middle East Forums.

Heath

Post by Heath » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:15 am

Yeah, go for the CELTA.

With the MAAL you've got a start on the theoretical side of things... the CELTA (or an equivalent - but make sure it's a good one) will give you a good start on the practical side. Then, with a couple of years of language teaching experience...