Was Wall Street Institute the first to use computers?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bradwelljackson

Was Wall Street Institute the first to use computers?

Post by bradwelljackson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 am

Was Wall Street Institute the first English school to get a reputation for utilizing computers effectively? Were they also the first to use the "Blended Learning" approach? If not, then what has made them so popular?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 am

I'd try posting this on the Job Discussion/International forums (i.e. China forum) instead, but even there I get the feeling you'll probably know more about the topic than most potential respondents!

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 am

Thank you Mr. Fluff. Indeed, I've already posted a much simpler query on the China forum (Which are the most popular schools in China?), but even this isn't getting a response.

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm

ESL is a huge and diverse global industry, and most ESL people don't have very good general knowledge about it - the sources aren't very good to get that, for my money. Reputations are localized, and mostly negative. Computers are not necessarily used "effectively" anywhere in the classroom, though since if you use one for such and such you seem to be advanced, and they add variety and options, they are certainly here to stay (and propagate), even though they usually subtract as well.

Blended learning is apparently:

"Through the Blended Learning Method, students listen, read, write, speak, and practice English. Students and staff at WSI centers around the world only speak English while in the center"

Like most of these methods with impressive seeming titles, same old thing, not worthy of entitlement.

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 am

Thank you for your answer, Mr. Wood. So then, why is Wall Street so popular? What do they do to cause people to want to spend so much money there? It sounds like woodcutter is describing a school that does the same thing as everyone else.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

"why is Wall Street so popular"

Marketing. I'd be very surprised if they have good student retention rates

Heath

Customers or students?

Post by Heath » Thu May 13, 2010 4:48 am

Actually, it seems that the number one thing that Wall Street (and EF Smart School) do is:
  • * Treat students as customers, rather than as students.
Obviously they do a lot more than just that, including:
  • * Lots of marketing (not just advertising, but everything that marketing entails).
    * Customer retention schemes
    * Higher paid teachers (relative to other schools in the same cities) = large teacher teams = less negative effect when someone leaves.
    * Highly organised management structures, etc.
But the number one thing is the customer focus, particularly:
  • * Professional looking facilities/premises
    * The attraction of technology (computers everywhere, projectors & Powerpoint, etc)
    * Social clubs & events
    * FLEXIBLE LEARNING SCHEDULES (Ss decide what days and what times they learn, how often, how long, etc, and can change this from week to week).
And that last one is the real biggy. A busy business person doesn't have time to find out how s/he could learn best, so treat them as a student and you won't get them as a customer.

Note: This post is not to suggest that either school doesn't care about quality teaching. I'm sure they do, and I know that both have dedicated teacher development programmes and are constantly updating their materials. Just a comment on why they're successful as businesses.

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Thu May 13, 2010 9:03 am

Heath:

This is a very informative and helpful answer. I wish this were Yahoo Answers so I could give you 10 points 8)