I need your help!!!

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

dorothy gao

I need your help!!!

Post by dorothy gao » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:39 am

Hi, I am a postgraduate in a Chinese university. Now we have a project to assess the develpment in writing. All the students in our department (first year to fourth year) will be enrolled in this project. Since I am a new starter, i want to know if there is some similiar project that I can learn from. Most important of all, we have not reached an agreement on the testing topic. Our tutor prefer to let students to describe something familiar in our daily life (like how to make dumplings), but we don't know which topic is suitable? Any suggestion will be high appreciated! Our project will be due on Nov 3.

keith

Post by keith » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:54 am

Hello Dorothy

The topic you choose should depend on the level of the students you are assessing. For example, for elementary students, an appropriate topic could be describing their daily routine, as this will assess their grasp of structures such as the present simple tense and adverbs of frequency, as well as their range of everyday vocabulary.

Your suggested topic of how to make dumplings could also be appropriate for lower level students, but bear in mind that it is quite limiting in terms of vocabulary and structures that the students will use, so is not so appropriate to test the range of language and register that you would expect more advanced students to have.

As students become more advanced, you should expect more in terms of content, length, range of vocabulary, structure and register, and set topics accordingly. For example, book reviews, letters of complaint, articles, informal letters, compositions which require arguing for and against an issue, all become possible topics as the students become more advanced.

I hope this helps.

Keith

http://www.eslbase.com - TEFL jobs and TEFL courses

dorothy gao

Thanks a lot!

Post by dorothy gao » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:11 am

Sorry to contact so late! I have been busy with our project these days. The topic was to describe a picture. We are now typing the students' composition. Thanks again!