testing, evalutation and assessment

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

elevenpluseleven

testing, evalutation and assessment

Post by elevenpluseleven » Fri May 26, 2006 2:10 pm

hello everybody? who can tell me what the differences are between testing, evalutation and assessment?
I've got confused, aren't they the same thing we always talking about?

jayapushani

Testing, evaluation and assessment

Post by jayapushani » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:47 am

No, It is not the same.

When you test someone, you are administering one instrument to find out how much the person knows.

You will use data/information obtained from these tests to evaluate a project/programme, whether it has worth or merit. e.g. Based on students' test scores, you can evaluate teacher efficacy, the curriculum, lesson strategies etc.

Assessment is a procedure/process of gathering information about a student's ability/performance so that you get a profile of that student. The profile you arrive at is not based on one test or score only.

I hope I have helped you in some way.
Some books use assessment and evaluation interchangeably but I would not agree with it.

Regards
Jaya

wenyanwendy

Post by wenyanwendy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:05 am

Bachman stated that he terms ‘measurement’, ‘test’, and ‘evaluation ’ are often used synonymously; indeed they may, in practice, refer to the same activity. (Bachman: 1997). However, each one has its distinctive characteristics.
Measurement in the social sciences is the process of quantifying the characteristics of persons according to explicit procedures and rules. Test is a measurement instrument designed to elicit a specific sample of an individual’s behavior. Evaluation can be defined as the systematic gathering of information for the purpose of making decisions.
May be we can conclude that not all measres are tests, not all tests are evaluative, and not all evaluatin involves either measurement or tests.
I think you can refer to Fundamental Considerations in Language Testing written by Lyle F. Bachman for more information. However, in his book, assessment isn't mentioned. :roll: