how to help students to have a possitive attitude

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jinfeng yuan

how to help students to have a possitive attitude

Post by Jinfeng yuan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 am

Students with possitive attitudes usually progress more rapidly in SLA. Positive attitudes acts as a motivational impetus to enable students a greater effort to achieve the goal of learning a language. However, what interventtions should teacher plan to deal with the problems associated with the issues of course difficulty, poor attitudes, and a lack of motivations?

Nianli MA

Teachers attitude towards students is very important.

Post by Nianli MA » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:39 am

Dear friend,
In my opinion, teacher's attitude towards students is very important.First,we may focus more on students affective factors rather than their grades and scores only. Second we may help students solve their individual problems that they cannot solve by themselves. Third we may become both friends and teachers to students, and let students know that we just serve for them,and make sure that our approach is studen-centered. I think that if we teachers focus more on students, they will have positive attitudes.
I hope I can help you.

Nianli Ma, china

k9fan

have students set goals and see their own progress

Post by k9fan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:04 am

I believe that one of the things that will improve a student's attitude the most is the observation that he or she is making progress. If you can help your students set individual, concrete goals that are relevant to their lives(such as, "By the end of the week I will be able to use these 20 new vocabulary words in my job") and then show them (or, even better, have them report to you) how they've achieved them, I think this will lead to improved attitudes and more dedication to learning.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:48 am

Well, I have observed that our students are afraid of making mistakes.

Mistakes have been penalised for years and this doesn't help students to relax and participate in the teaching-learning progress.

The way we react to students' mistakes, the way we correct their written work, the way we enter the classroom when we intend to give them a test, even the way we pass messages with our body posture and facial expressions play a great role to their attitude towards mistakes and learning.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue May 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Jinfeng yuan:

All of the posters above have given some great advice. I feel that it is important, however, for you to identify the actual source of their bad attitudes. What is it that is bothering them and why? Once this has been identified, it is usually much easier to know what course to take that will result in a positive change.

You may find that much of it is a direct result of the educational system in which students are placed. In such a case, you have a big challenge ahead. Perhaps a balanced approached that respects the administration as well as the problems of the students will be wise.

jiangwei

Teachers' guidence is very important.

Post by jiangwei » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:30 am

Hello, glad to be here with you.
I'm a senior high English teacher. The problem you put forward is also what has puzzled me a lot. As is well known, attitudes are quite important for students to learn a subject well, but usually, many students cannot hold positive attitudes towards their study. I think teachers' guidence is very important. At the very begining of teaching a group students, we should try to arouse students' interest in our subject in a specially-designed way. During the process of teaching, our attention should be focused on students' progress that they make in a certain period of time rather than their failure in studying, which is helpful for developing students' confidence in themselves. What's more, the assessment we make on students should be impartial, that's to say, every student should get fair evaluation according to their specific performances. Thus, students will tend to like us and then they will show great interest in our subject. Just as a saying goes:" Love you, love your dog." I hope what I shared with you here will give you a little help.

Jianglisa

Post by Jianglisa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:22 am

i can't agree with us more, positive attitude towards english learning is an activation for studetns. they study english very hard with enthusiam.moreover, you can try to make the class active by adding some games, or arousing students' interests.

Eric18

Encouraging students by expecting "good mistakes"

Post by Eric18 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Context, teaching philosophy, and classroom atmosphere all play a key role.

One effective technique is encouraging English students to “make good mistakes” as they expand their vocabulary, experiment with new sentence structures, and use English more in their daily lives. A good mistake, as I explain on the first day of class, is a logical error that makes sense, but just happens to be wrong. For example, a young boy might think 2+2= 22. You can see the logic, but the answer is wrong.

The student needs to know that 2+2=4. But you can also acknowledge that “22&#8243; is a good mistake. Some teachers might consider this mistake a systems error or category confusion.

Far too many ESL students, especially in countries that worship standardized exams, have created psychological barriers to experimenting in English. These students often want to avoid making any mistakes, and prefer to remain silent in conversation class to expanding their verbal skills. The ESL teacher, therefore, has to directly confront this trend or learned behavior. You can’t learn to speak a new language without making mistakes.

So I encourage English students, in both conversation and writing classes, to make good mistakes. Take chances. Try something new. Stretch your learning muscles. And make good mistakes. A good mistake is also a mistake that we acknowledge and learn from and avoid repeating. A good mistake is not a good mistake if you’ve made it ten times before in a class or on previous papers. Students usually understand, relax a bit, and proceed to experiment a bit more in our crazy, confusing, and misspelled English language.

Our goal, I sometimes joke on that first day, is to make many good mistakes, learn from these good mistakes, and move forward to make new, different, and even better good mistakes.” We usually realize this goal in our English classes!

While this technique does not guarantee students will feel inspired or even maintain good morale, it does reduce a significant source of stress for many students. It also generates a more comfortable classroom dynamic, allowing students to even joke about their "good mistakes" and "even better mistakes."

The teacher, of course, has to convey sympathy for students - while cajoling them to do their best.

RabeeaB

Promoting a Positive Attitude

Post by RabeeaB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:31 pm

I think it's important to make learning enjoyable for students. Children need to see a connection between what they are learning and their daily life. This helps them see purpose in what they are doing and therefore will have a much more positive attitude towards learning.

ESL Teacher, Grade 4