how to assess students?

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jianglisa

how to assess students?

Post by Jianglisa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:39 am

i want to ask for advice from everybody, i feel very confused about assessment on students. because we have little time in class for practice or examination, so i dont' how i can know how well they master the knowledge.

Brianna

I think it is easy .

Post by Brianna » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:31 am

If you want to assess on their knowledge how they master or not, in class you can ask them some questions, and after the class, you can give them some assignments and one of the direstest is to examine.

Shiwei

My opinion

Post by Shiwei » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:19 am

I think you can ask students to do self-assessments or peer-assessments. You can calss the students into several groups and every one have to assess all the members of the group. In this way they can get a sincere assessment from their classmates.

stella1980

Post by stella1980 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:33 am

You can submit them a quiz or written tests or maybe you can ask some short but significative questions to 2 or 3 of them every lessons so in 2 about weeks you'll have done a general assessment of your class.
An interesting way of testing is the role play, try it!
=)

labonteesl

oral assessment

Post by labonteesl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm

About 30 years ago in Korea I developed a system identifying the top 150 English conversation patterns. There is a free oral assessment test that I can e mail to you reflecting this. Also, if you would like a list of the 150 that I compilated let me know and I will e mail free of charge. Thanks. Don La Bonte

MegCast

Post by MegCast » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:26 pm

I like Shiwei’s suggestion of using self- and peer- assessments. This will help keep students involved and motivated as they learn to monitor performance. Students can assess by using checklists, setting their own goals, and asking partners for confirmation. This type of assessment will also strengthen their editing and proofreading skills.

Brie M.

Post by Brie M. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Assessing ELL students can be hard when you want to use your time for lessons and practice. When I prepare the lesson, I also prepare a checklist with the skills I am targeting and my students' names on it. Then I can keep simple anecdotal notes with a plus, check, or minus as we work on the skills and when I ask them questions. I also leave a space where I can jot notes down. This way I have a simple assessment of the students' skills and organized notes about the students strengths and weaknesses. I also incorporate some quick quizzes to have more formal assessments.

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Assessment starts with clearly defined objectives and you shouldn't be restricting yourself to only one assessment tool or time with which to do so.

I've been able to track down half a dozen e-books on the subject as schools and this forum have clearly not been very helpful. PM me and I'd be glad to share them with you.