Comparing scores/bands in IELTS, CAEL, TOEFL

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

baedaebok

Comparing scores/bands in IELTS, CAEL, TOEFL

Post by baedaebok » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:34 am

Is there a website that compares scores/bands between IELTS, CAEL, and TOEFL? I want to find out the equivalent of different scores in those tests (for example, the IELTS-equivalent of a CAEL band 50 score).

Eric18

Good question!

Post by Eric18 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:27 am

Add me to the list of the very curious. Ideally, I'd like to see a detailed chart that includes the number of sections, types of questions, and number of questions - and the time alloted to each section. Perhaps they could even be compared in terms of vocabulary too!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 am

Here is one:

http://info.anu.edu.au/Policies/_REG/Po ... .asp?tab=1

Do a google search and you'll probably find more. Looking at unversity entrance requiements from universities that take scores from both IELTS and TOEFL would also be useful. I suspect that these results must be based on some correlational studies. If you have access to a good library that subscribes to professional journals, you should probably be able to find these studies in the data base.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 16, 2008 10:20 am

Eric,

go to the TOEFL and IELTS web pages and this information is provided, though you will probably have to compare the two yourself.

Eric18

Thanks!

Post by Eric18 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Harmony - Thanks for the link and suggestions. I keep wondering if students shop for a standardized exam depending on their weakness.

Have you seen any study on that consumer aspect of the higher education business?