English only or code-switching in the teaching

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

loveelmo.tw

English only or code-switching in the teaching

Post by loveelmo.tw » Sat May 05, 2007 3:37 am

I would like to know everyon'e opinion about using English-only enviornment to facilitate the learner's langage learning is better or teach students English by using code-switching to help them understand during the language learning process

Macavity

Post by Macavity » Sat May 05, 2007 5:32 am

I think it's a matter of level. If the students are just beginning then I use a mix of L1 and L2, trying all the time to head towards more L2 than L1. If they're at a more advanced stage, roughly from upper-elementary to lower-intermediate, I only use L2.

However, when it is used, L1 is only verbal - I never write anything in L1 on the board. There are two reasons for this: Firstly I feel this would be too much L1 support and would be distracting in some way (though I admit that I have no way of knowing if this is really so); and secondly I am not confident enough in the students' L1 to do this, so I'd probably do as much harm as good.

I think it also depend on the language background of the group. If you're teaching a single L1 group then mixing in this way is possible, as long as you're confident enough in their language. If, on the other hand, you have a mixed language group, I think it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to do this.

Basically, though, on principle I think it's okay to use a switching of codes - so long as the aim is to reduce L1 and increase L2.

Daddyrosspreschool

Post by Daddyrosspreschool » Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 am

I have been teaching very young learners for over than 10 yrs now... I was able to experience and see by myself what to do to get the better resaults.
The more u use L2...the more they will use it!! It´s simple as that.
I noticed a humoungus differences while I started to talk to them just in Language 2. They use their english and they learn over the triple of the years passed.
It´s more work! You have to use a lot of pictures, objets, show them what do you want them to do it, etc. Too more energy but there is no doubt.
ONLY language2 to learn language2.
kids learn different... they learn by watching... and listening... So talk in L" and show them... THey will understand everything in no time!!!!!!
And they will know SO much more things that switching!!!!!!!!