Communication between home & school

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

amytrabs

Communication between home & school

Post by amytrabs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am

What are some effective ways of designing and conducting classroom activities that encourage the students families to participate in their children's education? What are some ways of communicating with parents when you don't speak the L1 fluently? (Besides the obvious of getting a translator)- Do you recommend sending letters home translated in both English and the L1? How do you maintain communication in a culturally respectful and appropriate way? (with students families) Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I would always try to translate where possible or have a translator. Often it was the children themselves but you can't really trust them to say what you said. They tend to say what the parents want to hear. In the end, that might be OK anyway.

I found that board games were a great way to get families to play together and learn English together. I made up board games with the children and then they took them home and taught them to their families. We copied known games but also made up a few of our own. I use a lot of Co-operative Games and those go over well.