Buddy System

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cunnin49

Buddy System

Post by cunnin49 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 am

I think the ideal of a buddy system is amazing. It is beneficial to both students. An english student can learn another L2 and the ELL can work on their skills in a comfortable way. If more schools would impliment such a program, I can only imagine the possibilities for students. In the classroom, I can even see ways for these students to work together and aid each other.

eslwendy

Post by eslwendy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I have only recently learned of this approach, and think it is great on so many levels. I think both students can learn from each other, and it can help bridge the cultural gap. I also think it would take away from the possible stigma that EL's feel, and make them feel more accepted.

millerd

Adult Education and the Buddy System

Post by millerd » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I am new to ESL; however, my interest is in adult education. I have heard of the buddy system's use with children...but not with adults. Can anyone please direct me to some best practices in ESL employing the buddy system with adult education?

D. Miller

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 am

It is also one aspect of Co-operative Learning and there is a ton of information on the Net.

inperez

Post by inperez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 am

I have also just learned of this approach and it sounds great. I think the best way students do learn is from one another and what better way then to have the partners learning from each other. I can see how this can help the students get away from their own and be open and understanding where each other may come from. I agree, schools should look into having this program in their schools.