Lack of standards

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

eslwendy

Lack of standards

Post by eslwendy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 pm

I must say I'm shocked at the lack of a standardization of credentials for ESL and BE teachers across the country. If someone who is insufficiently trained is in the classroom, it's not fair to the students or that instructor. The fact that so many BE teachers were deficient in training, and sometimes even a working use of the English language, is one of the things that angers voters into thinking EO is the way to go. (i.e. Chapter 386 in Mass.). Research has also shown that unqualified teachers directly correlates to the drop-out rate in Latino communities. I just don't get it. An administrator would never consider putting a teacher in a Special Ed. class unless they had had all the proper training. Similar policies should be in place for ELs; otherwise they are being short changed.

Madeline

Post by Madeline » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:17 pm

I agree. I just received my certificate and I am getting all the training I need now before becoming a teacher. I know that my training and my ability to be a good leader depends on me. I heard of all the lack of trainings in certain schools in my area and it probably has to do with budget. It seems like when the public schools try to cut back the first thing to go is professional development and cut backs on esl classes.

sunflower03

Post by sunflower03 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I also believe that teachers need more training to better understand this population. It isn't fair that we are not taking the time to educate teachers about the EL population. More and more ELL students are entering our school districts and teachers are overwhelmed. They simply do not know what to do with them and want to immediately refer them for special education. These teachers need help and it is up to our districts and the state to step in and require that all teachers have an education in ESL. If teachers had special education students in their classroom, they would not allow a teacher who did not have that training or certification in that room. Why then, should we allow teachers without any training or knowledge about ELL students’ work with these students; it simply isn't fair to them.