set up a language training center in China

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

gongqin

set up a language training center in China

Post by gongqin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:55 am

Hi,Imajored in English education. i have been a english teacher for two years. but i don't want to work here. i want to set up a training center but i don't know how and also i dont' have enough asset. so i want to find someone who wants to set up a language training certer in China. I can be a member of it. :wink:

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 am

gongqin,
I think you are Chinese, right?
Why don't you take your idea to the China Off topic discussion forum in the Employment section? That's where it belongs.

Apart from giving you this pointer, I am not sure why you think it is a good idea to set up a new training centre in China. Do you know that it is a very crowded market?

gongqin

english training center

Post by gongqin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:20 am

Yes ,you are right. But I think there is also possible to find someone who is interested in it. because it is a forum of bilingual education here. It's true it's a crowed market at present. But i still think that a formal and excellent english training center is needed. I was only a English teacher before. so i want to join in an excellent english training center which is set by a good experienced person whose mother tongue is english. That's just my aspiration.

gongqin

english training center

Post by gongqin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:21 am

Yes ,you are right. But I think there is also possible to find someone who is interested in it. because it is a forum of bilingual education here. It's true it's a crowed market at present. But i still think that a formal and excellent english training center is needed. I was only a English teacher before. so i want to join in an excellent english training center which is set by a good experienced person whose mother tongue is english. That's just my aspiration.

yaodong

A brilliant idea!

Post by yaodong » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:39 pm

I can't agree more.A training center for all teachers of English is more than necessary since the majority of EFL teachers in China tend to stick to the age-old teacher-centred teaching method.Besides,the current examination system and assessment approach have made teachers in a difficult situation.Students are not motivated to learn.They prefer to be spoonfed when it comes to classroom teaching.Teachers keen on spoonfeeding students are likely to receive favourable comments from most students.
100 training centers are needed for EFL teachers in China.

angellll

re:language schools.

Post by angellll » Fri May 27, 2005 5:18 pm

I am very interested and serious about setting up an ESL language school in China. I can definitely see the need for them.
I would dearly love to go to Shanghai and do this, as I really love that city!!!!!!!!!! :D
I teach in North East China and have felt completely frustrated by the spoonfed approach that most of the students, teachers and their parents prefer me to do.
I have had no choice, but to follow the rules, as I do not like to upset my bosses and so on.
Bang! goes the songs, games, music, roleplays and so on. This style that I feel "forced" to do is tedious and long winded. I try to add other things in my classes, but often come up against a brick wall.
Is anybody esle having similar experiences, or is it just me? (I am a newbie to EFL)
Take care all and thanks for reading. :lol:

neilhrd

You are not alone

Post by neilhrd » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:55 am

I teach in public state run schools in China at primary, middle school and college levels and I have had similar experiences.

It is sometimes possible to introduce more communicative methods but it has to be done step by step. If you try to introduce the western approach in one fell swoop you will meet bafflement and hostility from students, parents and administrators alike.

But even a step by step approach has to contend with the limitations imposed by inappropriate text books, a rigid timetable with periods which are too short for most communicative tasks, and a testing system over which you have no control and which is based on testing the ability to memorise (literally) the text book.

I would love to be involved in a training centre designed to change some of this. But experience suggests that you have to start by training the principals and the administrators of the provincial education authorities. This would be very difficult as most of these people would feel an enormous loss of face because attending training would be perceived as an admission that they don't know it all. It would also have to be a bilingual course as most of them don't speak any English at all although they claim the right to choose English textbooks and ditate timetables and syllabuses!

But unless you start at the top the training centre would be a waste of time because Chinese teachers are too scared for their jobs to implement anything new unless their bosses tell them too.

Unless anyone has Guanxi with the powers that be at provincial level or above then we will just have to carry on doing the best we can for the students in spite of the system we have to work with.

angellll

Re: setting up a training centre.

Post by angellll » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:22 am

I appreciate what you are saying and agree with you. However, I have a question. I was wondering whether the approach to teaching differs in the bigger cities such as Shanghai and Beijing. I would like to know as it is my ambition to work in Shanghai. I believe that the Western style is more appreciated there, but I am not one hundred percent sure. If anybody could let me know, I would be grateful.