Children Second language

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

stepsahe

Children Second language

Post by stepsahe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Hello,
Does someone knows any method to teach easily second language to Children ?

stepsahe

Post by stepsahe » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:53 am

I think i found something like multilingual stories for Children. I think that it is not so bad because that's very hard to find simple stories for children.

http://www.macaronicpress.com

FangWB

Teach children a second language

Post by FangWB » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:29 am

Studies have shown that children learn the best through aqusition. Thus, the best way to teach a second language is to speak the language with children as much as possible and make sure what you teach and what they learn is real life related.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:42 pm

First of all I think you have to convince them that speaking English is a useful thing to learn. Use examples and situations from their reality. For examples here in Greece parents and teachers tell them that English is useful in order to find a good job. Does this sound convincing when you are ten?

I personally believe in the Communicational Approach.

Always start with sth. that can attrack their attention and finish with sth. they will make them leave the classroom with a smile.

Show them how the language works (e.g. How I write an email. How I order food at a restaurant. How I speak to a friend/my teacher etc. How I describe my clothes and so on) and choose topics they are interested in.

Use games and songs (songs are excellent with helping their memory) and role plays (they love impersonating and acting) etc to make the lesson mostly fun than conventional teaching-learning routine.

I disagree with not using the native language in the early stages (but do it with care). Modern methodologists think that bilingual teachers are better than native in early stages. I strongly believe that a good knowledge of both languages and cultures is crucial in second language teaching situations.

Olindina Ferreira

Post by Olindina Ferreira » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 pm

I totally agree with Clio's approach. In fact, if the students believe that what they are learning will be useful for them to apply in everyday situations, they will be more motivated and interested in the learning process.
However, I sometimes have difficulty in dealing with very weak students, specially when the rest of the class are very good in English and I have 28 youngsters in a class. What do you usually do in this case?
    Oly - Portugal

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:43 am

Hi Oly!

Well i usually divide my classes into groups so the weaker students get help from their classmates (and not from me) so they can feel more comfortable and manage our given time better.

Another strategy is to give a very good student who is making noise all the time because he/she is bored the role of the tutor. Believe me it works both sides.

We face the same problem here in Greece too. It is very difficult to work with 20-30 students of different levels and sometimes of different backgrounds.

zhaoguihe

teach a child

Post by zhaoguihe » Thu May 10, 2007 4:45 pm

children have a good memory when you combine the visual materials into english learning. english songs particular for children and playing games are also good ways for them.

Daddyrosspreschool

By experience.....

Post by Daddyrosspreschool » Sun May 20, 2007 1:53 am

Some tips :

1- Speak only in their second language all the time.
    2- USe a lot and different materials to hep you explain yourself in their new language.
    2- TEach english as a tool!!! Not for the language itself. My kids know that if they learn "that new thing I have been talking and talking about and showing .... they will use it on a new fun song, role playing, craft, etc
    3- Do a lot of gestures to help explain yourself.
    4- Be funny... to check their understanding!! (Let´s pick up the tomatoes to draw a flower!!
    5- Repeat the same thing a milllion time in a million different ways.
    6-Talk with few words. Add more words as soon as they are adding those words to their vocabulary.
    7-See what they like...use it as a fun way to practice something!!!!!