What are your reaction on language and society

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Lasxasmis

What are your reaction on language and society

Post by Lasxasmis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Can any one give me some thoughts of the important notion in language and society how does it impact your cultures and applied to you???
Thank you in advance!!!
Your wonderous friend

emile

Post by emile » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am

Here in Malaysia, there was initially some resistance to learning English as it was seen as the language of the former colonial power, the British. People were afraid that the national language might cease to be spoken or become the language of the street market.

Of course, English has taken over from the original languages in many countries. For example, how many people in Scotland can speak Gaelic?

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:35 pm

These are some of my thoughts...

Well, 'language' = 'communication'

And society builds on communicating.

Here in Greece, a great percentage speaks English (because of tourism and shipping, which are very important to the Greek Economy).

Of course there is a lot of Mother Language interference due to improper teaching.

I can't stand Greeks who can't speak Greek! Our language is very old and very rich so many native speakers try to prove that they are not ignorant and they end up blocking communication (if you know what I mean!).

The Albanians are the first and the only ones that can speak Greek easily and perfectly (even with the Greek accent) and they have proved that they have a thing with foreign languages (I notice that everyday in my classes).

I love listening to Russians speaking Greek or English! I love their accent!

Unfortunately, the immigrants (and there are many) tend to learn Greek and forget their Mother Tongue by not using it at all! This is sad and I am positive that our society is to blame. We treat them as inferiors and they just try to fit in. I think it's not their responsibility but ours. We should try to get to know them and welcome them in our society and education plays a great role on that.
[/b]

JorgeGreenwood

Post by JorgeGreenwood » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:15 am

People are the same. Think the same, act the same, have similar like, dislikes. The only thing that seperates them is language. If you can overcome that, you can truely unify with other people of various backgrounds. There you will find the true meaning of 'collective consciousness'.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:12 pm

I think that people are equal not the same.

I am not the same even with my mother or my sister.

But people have equal rights and are capable of everything no matter their colour, origin or religion.

I enjoy my intercultural classes and our classroom projects to learn about each other's language, history and civilisation.

Because we differ, we should try to know the other and respect him/her. And this difference makes the world interesting.

I love finding out that in India the wife should wear a lot of jewelery to show that she loves and respects her husband and that when my student's family first came to Greece, they thought that all these Greek women are very disrespectful. When they stareted knowing us they understood that ellegant here means minimal. Of course know my Indian students see that we have borrowed a lot of their fashion thanks to getting to know them (pierced noses are the latest trend in the West for decades, for example)

In Ukrania, Maria tells me, it is very cold and there is a lot of snow. Maria was born here (in Athens) and when it snows it is a big event. To her grandmother the snow is every day life and sth. not so pleasant. But Maria enjoys it very much when she visits her grandmother and all her classmates envy her. She is so proud of having origins in Ukrania and all these 'poor' Greeks must pay to play with the snow. And I envy all these wonderful pullovers and woollen hats and all these aprons her mother embroidered for our bazaar with these colorful traditional patterns.

See what I mean?

We should teach our children to respect whatever is differs, admire it and even borrow sth. from it but certainly learn sth. from it.