Language In Color

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Shannon Bridget Murphy

Language In Color

Post by Shannon Bridget Murphy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Those from countries where English is not the first language frequently become ESL students. Establishing a painting company in The United States requires familiarity with English. Working scenes for those who do not speak English as their first language also provide an educational setting in practice. This translates as a way to put the English language into practice.

One Friday morning in September, I arrived at our rental property and found that the painters who we had employed were from Central America. I quickly realized that they spoke limited English but were ready to work and trying to apply what they had learned to their world of work.

I hoped that by putting my Spanish into practice, it would put the painters to work and make a more comfortable scene for everyone there. Early trends in a classroom often set the trend for things to come. This was no exception at this work setting. By noon, all conversation, music and the work order were in Spanish. A limited ability to put English into practice became no English being spoken there. I left the following week with a fresh painted townhouse and speaking more Spanish than what I had arrived with. The day had been rich in words. They were Spanish ones at that.

Shannon Bridget Murphy
Independent Consultant, BEST Plus, CAL