How to make grammar teaching interesting?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

shine422

How to make grammar teaching interesting?

Post by shine422 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:09 am

Dear Friends:
I have been tutoring a junior high school student recently. My job is to teach the grammar knowledge. Initially, I considered this requirement was very easy compared to the teaching of oral English and writing, for I am very confident in my knowledge of grammar, and it seemed that the only thing I need is a systematic grammar book. Therefore, the first several classes were consisted of my explanation of some grammar point plus some complementary exercises. But every time the boy yawned and yawned. So after that, I add some interesting sections into my tutoring, for example, guessing idioms, telling jokes, and so on. But the result is still unsatisfactory. It seems that those interesting sections do add some spice to the tutoring, but when it comes to the teaching of grammar knowledge, he again begin to yawn and yawn. By the way, multi-media equipments are inaccessible. I am very frustrated. Is here anyone who can help me? How can we make the teaching of grammar interesting on earth?
:(

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue May 22, 2007 3:42 pm

I don't really have an answer for you, because my guess is that grammar just doesn't interest the boy. However, I don't know how you are explaining things. I find in my own classes if I just lecture on a grammar point I even put myself to sleep. Therefore, I try to elicit answers from the students while I am setting up the next grammar explanation, particulary in reviewing what has gone before that I am building on. I also put incorrect sentences on the board and ask them if it's English, and where the errors are. (for example, I might put "He wanted to went to the store." and ask what's wrong) At least it adds something for the students to do instead of passively listening.

shine422

Thank you

Post by shine422 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:59 am

Dear Lorikeet:
It does help. Thank you very much. Your reply reminds me of the courses in my university days. Nearly every course has the section where one student stands in the front of the classroom teaching the rest of the students. It's really a good idea for both the teacher and students. And I think the one who gets most from this process is the one who stands in the front of the classroom, and other students usually tend to be more attentative when listening to a student's teaching.
It really inspires me a lot. Thank you again.

david_3d3c

Post by david_3d3c » Thu May 24, 2007 1:20 am

I think making up sentences is good for grammar learning.

zxlair

hope my idea will be helpful

Post by zxlair » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:58 am

According to the teaching methodology, the ways of teaching Grammar can be divided into two types: one is the deductive approach, the other one is the inductive approach. The former one refers to you give the rules of a grammar first, and then try to help your students to use it. You can design some activities,such as speaking , discussions etc, to help them familirize with the rules, and make them feel these helpful . And , in this way, if they put the rules into practice, and use it, they may be more interested in your class.
The later one refers to let students make sentences first, and them ask them to summarize the rules by themself. By using this way, they not only familirize the sentence pattern, but also mater the rules . ANd with their involvement in the activity, they will feel the class more interesting, since they have achieved something in the class.
These are only some suggestions . ANd i do hope this will help you.