K-2 Bilingual Classroom Activity and Center Ideas

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cuky

K-2 Bilingual Classroom Activity and Center Ideas

Post by cuky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:53 pm

I thought it would be a great learning tool to have a thread where teachers could post different approaches and activities that they use in their centers and/or classrooms. Being a bilingual education topic I hope I will be able to pick up many center ideas using and developing the skills of the student's native language.

BTW - I am a 2nd grade bilingual teacher in Texas.

cuky

Post by cuky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Being my thread, I guess I'll be the first to post here. At my school I team teach with another bilingual teacher (all our second grade classrooms do this). I teach math, social studies, and science. The other teacher does the language arts in English and Spanish, as well as writing.

Everyday I have a minimum of 30 minutes center time. I utilize from 8 to 10 centers where the students work in pairs. I am hoping to gather more ideas for my centers to keep them fresh, entertaining, as well as educational.

OK here is the first center idea:

Symmetry - Image [The students put elmers glue on the lines of the image. They then fold the paper in half and pat it lightly. They unfold it, put in a bucket, and sprinkle sand over top. They lift the paper out and PRESTO they have a cool looking image showing perfect symmetry.

They can then make their own image on a paper on one side. Glue over the lines, fold it, sprinkle the sand, and PRESTO they have made their own symmetry image. The kids come up with some awesome looking creations
Last edited by cuky on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuky

Post by cuky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Please don't hesitate to post thinking an idea is too easy or that we already know about it. Trust me, there are so many of the simplest ideas that I should be using, but I don't know them yet.

cuky

Post by cuky » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 am

One of my centers that I use daily consists of using the 2 computers I have in my room. I have utilized www.funbrain.com www.aplusmath.com living books cds, a spelling tricks game cd. A few days ago I saw this site www.literacycenter.net. They have some very neat activities IN SPANISH for PreK - 2 grade. I don't know anything about them except that they are in the San Francisco area. But I like the looks of the site and ITS FREE.

cuky

Post by cuky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:01 am

Hello cuky! I talk to myself at times....so what? I bet you all do if you have been teaching a while.

Well, I am off to the NABE 2008 conference in Tampa Bay, the biggest gathering of Bilingual Teachers in the US. I will share anything of interest I find here.

cuky

Post by cuky » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:29 am

Hello from NABE. These are a few pictures I took there. I will add more pictures later. (They are nothing like the pictures Dave has in the photo gallery. Those are awesome. Makes me want to travel)

This booth was quite popular. You can make books (and the students too) in Engllish or Spanish right in the classroom. I think the school can buy the rights for the entire school at a pretty reasonable price. I'll try to find out more tomorrow

I believe in the use of music in learning. Helps greatly in retention of language and ITS FUN TOO! This company brings the classic nursery rhymes back in the classroom. Now I wish someone would do this in Spanish and bring back the classic Trabalenguas and Adivinanzas. Does anyone remember "Aserrin Aserran los maderos de San Juan..."

Below is Misterkindergarten, a teacher from California who has been making materials for the classroom for over 10 years.
www.Misterkindergarten.com
I don't have a picture, but my wife loved his reproducible books in Spanish and English. I think his student made flip books would be a great addition to a library center. He also has flip books for math and other areas.

And of course I have to show off my wife's booth (or else :shock: )

Lastly, I know everyone knows Jose Luis Orozco. He is everywhere. I saw him at TABE in San Antonio. He has tapes that are fabulous for a listening center. He had a booth there and I had a chance to have drinks with him. He is an amazing entertainer and a big big supporter of Bilingual Education. I didn't get a chance to take a picture.....yet. But I did get one of his many tapes and an autographed poster. :D

cuky

Post by cuky » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Well I am back in the classroom :wink: !! Today for the Math Center I am using straws (8 total) with pipe cleaners cut into 4 inch segments. The students use the straws and pipe cleaners to make Square Pyramids and Tringular Pyramids. They will be able to take the shapes home with them and practice finding faces, edges, and vertices.

Today is also the 100th day of school in Dallas, soooo the students will make different arrays for 100 (5 rows of 20, or 10 of 10, etc) using macaroni, cheerios, fruit loops, or some other food (Boy this is getting me hungry)

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 pm

In the kindergarten classrooms I work with, all of the centers each week are related to a certain theme. It could be a topic from one of the classes, like life stages of an animal you're talking about in science, reading about the animal, some kind of puzzle about them. Would you be able to get any English only aides or parents to help in the centers? We also have one adult help in each group to make sure everyone gets the work done. It would also give the students more people to use their English with, and they can get to know more people in the neighborhood.

cuky

Post by cuky » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 am

Hola Señorita Daniels,

I think its awesome you have several parents helping in your centers. That ensures they run smoothly. I used to have 5th grade students come and volunteer work with my kids in class, but this year it hasn't happened yet. I like your theme based center idea also. How many centers do you typically have going in one day? And do you use centers everyday?

On a side note, Friday I tried a new center where the 2 students walk around as center monitors with a clipboard with all the students' names on them. They would go to each center and ask what the students were doing, what they were learning from the activity, and why it was important. They then recorded on the clipboard with checks who was on task and knew what they were doing.

The students loved it. And it helped to keep everyone on task (because I didn't have the extra adult supervision). Now this is a second grade class. I have seen it done in a kindergarten class quite well also (actually that is how I got the idea, I stole it :wink: )

One last note, I usually have around 8 centers going in a day. Some are in english and some are in spanish because we are a dual language school. The program we use requires that Math be taught in english while social studies and science in Spanish. Language Arts is done in both. We also have what is called the "language of the day" which decides what language we use with the students in the hallways, cafateria, etc.

cuky

Post by cuky » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 am

PS I forgot to tell everyone about another site I found: www.iknowthat.com . Very fun games for the students to play and learn. I used the math game called mathblox. The students loved it and they learned while playing.

Also there is a site called www.theteacherscorner.net that has where you can generate your own word searches, crossword puzzles, matching columns, etc using your own words and criteria. It also does them in 15 different languages (the word search generator).

I know there are plenty of game generators out there but I thought this one was pretty cool. :shock:

cuky

Post by cuky » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Well, I haven't posted in a week soooo. Today is Friday. My new internet find is called Sites for Teachers www.sitesforteachers.com . Hundreds and hundreds of free sites. Under search type in Spanish and it pulls many sites with Spanish materials- Some free some pay.

I know you are all still anxiously awaiting photos of my room :lol: Well, I still have to remember to bring my camera.

Today's centers: a normal day, Computer center www.iknowthat.com , Math center: Use geoboards and rubberbands to make arrays from multiplication cards, Math message center (word problem of the day, alo has temperature, money, patterns, and clocks to write about), Board Center - practice subtraction with regrouping, New Center - student monitor center (the 2 students walk from center to center with clip board checking if everyone is on task and asking them questions), Writing center - Required writing piece for TELPAS test on science, Checkers center , Reading center - all dinosaur books and 2 viewmasters with dinosaur photos, and Game show center with a variety questions.

Have a great Friday and weekend ya'll. :wink:

cuky

Post by cuky » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Monday morning: we are making fossils today because we didn't do it on Friday. Great activity for second grade bilingual and regular students. Bring in bag of sand, plaster of paris, dixie bowls, plastic plants or insects, water.

1. Students fill bowl with damp sand. Make a slight spherical indentation.
2. Students pick a plastic insect or plant or lizard and press into the damp sand. Remove carefully.
3. Mix 2 parts of plaster with 1 part of water and students mix in a small plastic cup. Mix until soupy (takes about 20 seconds only)
4. Students pour into the "mold" (sand with indentation)
5. Wait a few minutes and sprinkle dry sand on top
6. Let sit overnight
7. Next day students use brush to clean off sand and discover a fossil

Easy to do and fun for the students!!!

cuky

Post by cuky » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:27 am

Early childhood bilingual teachers I thought you might enjoy these songs from your youth:

La vaca lechera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttu81UiJNuA

El raton vaquero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnNUuLnyCs

and

Arroz con leche
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyauyLWfUaM

I put a few of these songs on one of my computers for the enjoyment of students who might finish their work early.

cuky

Post by cuky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 am

Breaking news......I have been moved from second grade bilingual to fourth grade to help get the students get ready for math TAKS test. Supposedly it is only until after the state TAKS test for math.

I don't know if I feel like this:

or like this:

I'll let you know later.
??????

cuky

Post by cuky » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, it's later. Much, much later. How do I feel. I miss my bilingual class. I do feel I am being extremely effective with the 4th graders getting them ready for TAKS. But, my heart is really set on Bilingual/Dual language classrooms and students.

I should be back in there soon.

Meanwhile, http://www.lingolex.com/spanish.htm this is an awesome site for learning spanish and conjugations etc.