Business English in Germany

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sita

Business English in Germany

Post by sita » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:03 pm

Hello!

I am a native speaker and am currently teaching Business English in Germany.
I use a mix of textbooks and authentic material. I would enjoy exchanging ideas with other teachers in similiar fields.

Sita
:twisted:

frances boettinger

Post by frances boettinger » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:16 pm

Hi Sita

I am also a native speaker (from the U.S) teaching Business English in Germany (near Stuttgart) and would be interested in exchanging ideas and experiences as well.

I'll be out of town for the next week but maybe we can get in touch after that.

:lol:

Ann

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:26 am

I will be in the job market next year, especially around the Stuttgart--Karlsruhe region. I will be getting married next year and moving to Germany.
I teach Business English at a university in the States.
Any tips?

sita

tips..

Post by sita » Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:50 am

Hi!

Do you want to work as a freelancer?
Can you speak German?
Do you have a work permit?

It is a bit difficult to give you any useful tips right now.

best wishes
Sita

Ann

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:32 pm

I don't speak German...yet. (I will be taking classes this summer).
I may want to work as a freelancer, but I would prefer something more "concrete."
I assume I will have a work permit since I'll be marrying a German.

sita

suss it out!

Post by sita » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:46 pm

Hi ann!

Here is one link for jobs updated every 8 weeeks
maybe it will give you an idea of the job situation

http://www.hueber.de/german/jobs/liste.asp?v=0

I hope it may help you

Best wishes :D

Siân

Ann

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:01 am

Thank you for posting that link, Sita. I haven't had a chance to look through it but when I do, I'll let you know if it works.
Thanks again!

sita

mea culpa

Post by sita » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:42 am

Hi Ann!

I apologise, I thought it was an urgent request for jobs in Germany!

Good luck!

Sita :oops:

Ann

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:22 pm

Thanks once again Sita!
I have a year to decide about jobs. I don't move till the end of next year, but I think your information is still very valuable. I am collecting all these links in my folder.

anitka

Post by anitka » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:05 am

I teach Business English in Moscow and I'm not a native speaker, but I'll be interested in exchanging ideas as well :D
By the way, my second foreign language is German! :lol:

sita

Business English

Post by sita » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:11 pm

I use the books "Market Leader" ( Longman)
and "New Insights into Business" (Longman)
and "Business Explorer" ( Klett) for AE

I use a lot more. Any comments on these?

Sita 8)

Ann

Business English Texts

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:09 pm

I have heard a lot about Market Leader. I am hoping to acquire a used copy sometime soon.
I use Barron's American Business English for letter formats etc.
I also use New International Business English CUP
And I have heard a lot about Business Options and Business Objectives. They are both by OUP.
Any other good books out there? I teach a mixed group of high intermediate-advanced level students.
On a side note, how do you encourage attendance in class? Its a bit difficult to use the ol' school teacher charm with adults. :wink:

LarryLatham

Student attendance in adult classes

Post by LarryLatham » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:18 pm

...how do you encourage attendance in adult classes?

First of all, as you are no doubt familiar with, a certain amount of attrition is to be expected in adult classes. Adult students have a life outside of the classroom, what with changes in job assignments, family responsibilities, and the like.

That said, there may come times when I, as teacher, realize that too many students are not coming to class regularly. I personally have always felt that this is the time for me to look at myself and my class content and/or presentation for clues as to why. Adult students have become students as a result of a more or less conscious choice. Nobody compels them to be there (laying aside, for the moment, those few who are there because their employer says they must improve their English). If my students began the class, and now too many are dropping by the wayside, I have to consider that perhaps there is a problem with what they (under my guidance) are doing in class--no matter how much I might think it's wonderful. Adult students have to be satisfied with what they believe they're getting from class. After all, they likely are sacrificing something else in order to attend. When the sacrifice seems to no longer be worth it, they make another conscious choice. So, painful as it may sometimes be, I believe that attendance problems fall to me as teacher and guider of the events that take place in the classroom. It's time for me to re-evaluate what I'm doing, and try to do it from my students' point-of-view.

Agree?

Larry Latham

Showem

Post by Showem » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:48 am

No, I don't agree. There will always be some conflicts in style and some people might not appreciate the way I teach and therefore drop out. But if it is a few people who drop away, here and there, and not a mass migration at once, I have my doubts with the idea that the root of the problem lies with me.
Adult students have to be satisfied with what they believe they're getting from class. After all, they likely are sacrificing something else in order to attend. When the sacrifice seems to no longer be worth it, they make another conscious choice.
I agree with this, but I don't think the blame always lies with the teacher. Knowing my own reasons for dropping a course, they normally had little to do with the teacher. Reason 1: The course demanded more time from me than I had originally thought and I wasn't prepared to give more time. 2. The curriculum was set (not by the trainer but by the institution) and I didn't like it. 3. The levels in the class were too varied for me to feel I was making progress. 4. I had missed a few classes due to other commitments and didn't feel I could catch up. (Please don't get the idea I drop out of everything! This is over 20 years that I'm taking this exerperience.)

It may not be worth the sacrifice anymore for the students, but the reasons can be varied.

As for encouraging attendance, well, to be honest, I would be happy if a class of 21 becomes a class of 12 because I feel it's more effective, but I see your point. I would give interesting homework assignments, meaning not a page of grammar exercises to do, but things that intrigue them. For example, (trying to tie this in to a Business English theme) after teaching a class of electrical engineers the passive (the tea is poured) I would set for homework that they have to explain next class a process at work or a how a machine they use at work functions. For them, that's an actual, practical use of what I taught them and they might be interested in what the other participants will say. For a class on comparisons, I might make them reasearch if their city has any partner cities somewhere in the world and then next class compare the differences between the two. Another thing is to let them know what you are doing next week, so they have something to look forward to. Obviously, phrasing here is important, as saying "We will look at the past simple vs. present perfect" isn't going to stir them as much as "We are going to talk about the past next week, so everyone should bring a picture of themselves from when they were young to discuss." If you say the first, then I do agree with Larry, that perhaps you should re-evaluate what you do in the classroom. Otherwise, I think it's up to the participants to take responsibility themselves for their attendance.

LarryLatham

Attendance in adult classrooms

Post by LarryLatham » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:46 pm

Showem,

I can't really say that I disagree with what you have said, but I must say that I fear your point-of-view might be dangerous. One of the greatest influences on our professionalism as teachers is whether or not we grow. I would hardly suggest that your point-of-view is unprofessional (indeed, you show through your posts here and elsewhere that you are quite the opposite). However, for me, any and every opportunity for me to examine my own performance is a chance for me to expand my skills, my knowledge, my methods, my understanding of my students' situation, so that, over time, I try to make certain that I become a better teacher. I know that this is not only an emotion laden point, but also highly complex as well. It begs many questions--for example, what is a "better" teacher. Perhaps one of the reasons I feel the way I do is that I define "better", here, as being more effective at helping my students acquire the language. That's quite different, for example, than defining it as more knowledgeable, or "certified", or having an extensive set of teaching skills, even though being "better" may entail all of these things. I can't help my students if they're not coming to class.

As you have pointed out, there are many reasons why particular students drop out of a particular class. But I have felt sometimes, especially in the earlier years of my experiences as a teacher, that too many were leaving, and that led to self-examination. I believe I am a better teacher now than I was when I began to teach, and even than I was two or three years ago. Moreover, that seems to show through in my perceptions, at least, of student attendance in classes. I can see, now, that students make special efforts, sometimes, to get to class.

So my suggestion stands, in my view, that when too many students are dropping out of class, it's time for teachers to look at what's happening in class.

Larry Latham