Business English for complete beginner

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cathr

Business English for complete beginner

Post by cathr » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:40 am

Hi, I'm about to start teaching a senior official who is more or less a complete beginner (he studied english for a month about 30 years ago and can only remember how to introduce himself). He wants the lessons to be fairly serious and focused on business topics, although I'm obviously going to have to start with the basics before we can progress onto anything more meaty. I don't want the lessons to be patronising but at the same time they do need to start at a very low level, whereas most of the suggested lesson plans I've found assume some existing knowledge. I'd like to start with some practical things, such as introductions, phone numbers, etc. - does anyone know of any business english resources aimed at complete beginners? Thanks

sita

Post by sita » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:39 pm

Hi!

Where is the pupil from?

Best wishes
Siân

cathr

Post by cathr » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:46 pm

Hi Sian, he's from Spain. He seems quite relaxed and am sure will be open to different teaching methods as I get to know him but, until I do, I'd lke to keep things fairly formal and business focussed. Any suggestions?

MargH

Post by MargH » Sat May 01, 2004 1:41 pm

Hi Cathr
I have been in business for 35 years and am now teaching Business English in Jinan, China.

I would like to suggest you talk about things in the businessman's daily routine, like correspondence, and telephone conversations with business associates. Find out about what he does. Does he place orders? does he supervise others? Does he interview people? Does he do presentations? Start with a questionnaire of his daily life, and you will find plenty of material to start teaching the terminology he will need to communicate in English. An interpreter for this exercise might be helpful.

Go or it, girl! :)

MargH

Post by MargH » Sat May 01, 2004 1:44 pm

Hi Cathr
I have been in business for 35 years and am now teaching Business English in Jinan, China.

I would like to suggest you talk about things in the businessman's daily routine, like correspondence, and telephone conversations with business associates. Find out about what he does. Does he place orders? does he supervise others? Does he interview people? Does he do presentations? Start with a questionnaire of his daily life, and you will find plenty of material to start teaching the terminology he will need to communicate in English. An interpreter for this exercise might be helpful.

Go for it, girl! :)