Questions About Building A Useful Site For Online Teachers

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

tobyU

Questions About Building A Useful Site For Online Teachers

Post by tobyU » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi all,

I recently put up a simple, non-technical site aimed at providing free resources for teaching ESL online http://www.tobyscafe.com/index.htm. My goal is to eventually provide a home where ESL teachers can learn about technology, find lesson plans and resources and build community. If you would like to contribute to the project please let me know. The site that I put up is by no means complete - it's work in progress.

I have some questions that I'd like your opinion on:

1) LESSON PLANS
Where can I find lesson plans that I can review and recommend to other online teachers? Preferably something that can be quickly deployed by an online teacher.

What sites would you recommend (and why) for lesson plans related to:
- teaching children?
- teaching adults learners?
- read-along? sing-along?
- pronunciation?
- business English?
- topical questions?
- teaching grammar?
- teaching writing?

Kathyfelts has helped me to become aware of some great flash/interactive sites that she uses for teaching kids. I agree with Kathy and I think that flash sites work best (the majority of the online Asian students that I've taught like flash content, however it might be different with other cultures) - but bottom line, anything that can be quickly adapted by an online teacher is ideal.

2) MAKE HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS
When you pay a visit to tobyscafe.com, what can you suggest to make it more useful?

What content should I pay particular attention and focus on building?

What other topics should I look into?

Please make your suggestions and comment, it'll be great to build a one-stop-shop site that meets the needs for online English teachers.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Toby