Online ESL will lead to serious decline in earnings?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jguest

Online ESL will lead to serious decline in earnings?

Post by Jguest » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:36 pm

I'm concerned and curious to know what others think regarding the effect on earnings brought about by the online teaching of English.

Currently students can have online school subject tutoring from teachers in other countries who have had accent training, for as little as $2.50. Why wouldn't the same happen with ESL? It seems logical to me, what does anybody else think? Worrying?

dvasas

Post by dvasas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 pm

I work for an on-line learning company and don't think that teachers need to worry about declining wages.

In Taiwan some schools use e-learning programs in the classroom and even on a large projector screen. For the most part it is meant to supplement what is learned in the classroom, and it will never replace teachers.

Maybe it could drive up wages as teachers will have to get trained in the program their school may be offering.

Cheers.