The Use Social Media as a Teaching Tool

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

millerd

The Use Social Media as a Teaching Tool

Post by millerd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Beyond some of the posts about the use of Twitter, has anyone else used social media as a teaching tool? Specifically, I am seeking information about Facebook and Youtube.com. I would be open to other forms of social media as well. I use them in my non-ESL classes and I would like to learn how to adapt the uses of these social media in ESL classes.

Thank you,

D. Miller

teacher-ly

Plot Creator

Post by teacher-ly » Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 am

I've used Twitter as a plot creator to come up with random story lines for my ESL students who need ideas.

You give each individual a un-changing role eg. pupil 1 has to construct a sentence that adds to a plot using a 'woman' or 'car' or something else... so you form a micro-blog/story.

Ly-ann

Educator. Technologist. Writer
www.analternativeeducation.com

MsRookieTeach

Post by MsRookieTeach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 pm

I attempted to use Facebook and Google+ as opportunities for advanced ELLs to engage in some "New Journalism." It didn't take off, but I think if the kids were more interested in representing their school in public forums it would work.

tomforsmo

Learning with social media can be powerful

Post by tomforsmo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 am

Use of social media is a powerful collaboration tool, and I think it is important that student can learn trough communication with other students or teachers. As of now the challenge with facebook is that your students easily can get distracted as well, thats why I have created a social learning network. http://gostudyit.com/ gives you as a teacher a possibillity to distribute your online learning resources to your students and your students can create notes, reply to assignments or share their notes with their learing network. Its free to register and to create a campus. For a closer look at what you can do take a look at the gostudyit campus http://gostudyit.com/campus/21/streams/5239 or send me a message and Ill help you getting started.

Rosiej6400

Social Media

Post by Rosiej6400 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:45 am

I have used a Facebook template in my class as a resource for students to describe a character of a book. However, I know that at the school I teach at clubs have created a Facebook account to keep in touch with another and share ideas. Have you considered creating a classroom Blog or Wiki? Those are excellent social networking sites that motivate students. Also, you can take advantage of not only teaching students to utilize technology, but educate them in proper and safe uses of technology.

tomforsmo

Gostudyit - a social media tool for schools

Post by tomforsmo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 am

If you want to explore the power of social media as a learning tool, http://gostudyit.com is a perfect place to start. This is a Peer-to-Peer teaching network where students and teachers can share and discuss notes, lectures and assignments.
You can embed all types of other websites to your notes such as prezi.com, slideshare.net, onedrive and google documents.

Try it and its free

bennyrent

Re: Learning with social media can be powerful

Post by bennyrent » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 am

tomforsmo wrote:Use of social media is a powerful collaboration tool, and I think it is important that student can learn trough communication with other students or teachers. As of now the challenge with facebook is that your students easily can get distracted as well, thats why I have created a social learning network. http://gostudyit.com/ gives you as a teacher a possibillity to distribute your online learning resources to your students and your students can create notes, reply to assignments or share their notes with their learing network. Its free to register and to create a campus. For a closer look at what you can do take a look at the gostudyit campus http://gostudyit.com/campus/21/streams/5239 or send me a message and Ill help you getting started.
Wow! I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this awesome resource. I also agree with you with the potential of students getting distracted by using Facebook, so gostudyit is a great alternative. I have made an account and have begun exploring its functions. So far, the layout and interface is extremely user-friendly. I would love to use this in a class! Thanks again. Also, I would be curious to see how you utilized this in your classroom. Would you post a link to your gostudyit campus?

tomforsmo

Post by tomforsmo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Thank you bennyrent. When I created the site I had a visual focus. So that the students and the teachers could share and view and edit their content without having to download it first.
here you can find some resources that has been used in class:
gostudyit.com/campus/14734

This is in norwegian, bu I hope you get the picture.
To create a campus you have to find your hometown in the searchbar - then register a campus. This is of course free. Just write your schools adress as your billing information (you will never get billed :) its free)

I like to use google documents or microsoft office to hand out presentations, or I use h5p.org to create assignments. I also recommend microsoft office mix to create online presentations with tasks to a presentation. remember to use the embed code with <iframe> to embed content to a post.

For students I recomend them to write posts with visibility "to subscribers".

There will be some changes in the gostudyit universe this winter that will allow you to create content at gostudyit.

If you have any kind of questions just send me a pm, and we can have a hangout or a skype call where I can show you can use gostudyit with your students.

Tom