Online Teaching: Getting started enquiry

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MiaNZ

Online Teaching: Getting started enquiry

Post by MiaNZ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:19 am

Hi...I want to start teaching English online, and really dont know where to start.
Can someone help me with any reputable names of companies I could contact. I am in NZ but planning to go to Scandavia in April, so would like to get something up and going before I leave.
Any help or own experience stories would be much appreciated.

futurefemme

Post by futurefemme » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi! I'm currently interviewing for VIPKid, a site that allows you to teach English and Common Core curriculum to Chinese students ages 5-12. Their recruitment website is here (not a referral link): https://t.vipkid.com.cn/

They pay $14-22/hour or $7-$11/class depending on your base rate and bonuses you get for attendance, number of classes taught, etc. It is a contracting position and most people teach part time but there are some who've made a full-time job of it. The hours are a bit odd as they're based on Beijing time but if you're living in Europe the time difference shouldn't be as difficult for you as someone living in the U.S. You can teach for them if you are living in Europe as long as your internet speeds are good.

You submit your profile and if you fit their needs you get contacted for an online interview with one of their Chinese employees, where they ask you some questions and then pretend to be a student and you teach a mock class from prepared curriculum (all the curriculum is pre-made for you, you just need a bubbly personality, an orange t-shirt, a nice backdrop, and a lot of props). If you pass, you will study some materials and then do a mock class/practicum with an English/American teacher mentor. They will give feedback and then 90% of applicants do a second practicum as well (I am about to do mine). After that you can submit paperwork and a promo video for the parents and begin setting your schedule, and they require a minimum of 7.5 hours or 15 class slots open during Beijing peak times, but beyond that it's up to you.

JulietHuynh

Post by JulietHuynh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi there,

I was looking through some other posts and someone had posted about some home-based or school-based positions found on: http://www.esljobslounge.com/

I am not sure how legitimate these are, but it's a place to start.

Martin3

Post by Martin3 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 am

Looks like a good one. Much appreciate.